are you rhythmically innovative ?

- ask away
northernlight
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by northernlight »

Bogdan wrote:you are right. we are not limited by vinyl. but i think we are limited by the people on the dance floor.
in my experience it's even more the bookers (or whatever you call em) of clubs/venues.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

northernlight wrote:
steevio wrote: let me ask you why ?
why as a DJ but not as a producer ?
one reason is that i only use two machines (machinedrum, monomachine) for my techno. so it's not possible to have many different time signatures at the same time.

but this is kind of a weak excuse. i could still use a different signature for each of the machine. thinking of this now, i'm going to give it a try next time in the studio.

i could add more equipment with step sequencers in different patterns lenghts. but at the moment it's important to me to restrict to two machines. maybe i can come up with some LFO settings that can simulate polyrhythms. so i could have elements run on a 4/4 sequencer but thanks to modulation they occur like a different signature. oh, i wish i could be in my studio and not at work today :lol:
ha ha, good job mate, posting on forums :wink:

the limitations of machines are sometimes a problem. especially drum machines, because they tend to cajole you into using 16 steps.
i gave up using my 909 as a sequencer for that reason, i only use it for sounds now (you can use different step lengths of course but i cant do what i want to do with it.)
i generally make all my percussive sounds from scratch in synths, and always use polyrhythmic or un-synched LFOs to add variation.
but it depends on the machine. the LFO lengths are very limited on my NOrds, so i tend to use unsynched, where as on my Andromeda you can have absolutely any length LFO you want right down to tic resolution. it's fantastic to have that amount of control.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Bogdan wrote:you are right. we are not limited by vinyl. but i think we are limited by the people on the dance floor.
this is where we see things differently, i think people on the dance floor are being limited by formulaic music.
i write all my music with one thing in mind - dancing.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

northernlight wrote:
in my experience it's even more the bookers (or whatever you call em) of clubs/venues.
i dont find that either.
i'm a promoter, and i look for non-formulaic music, infact if i wasnt offering fresh music, i wouldnt be doing my job.
Bogdan
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Bogdan »

i understand that you make music with one thing in mind - dancing, but do you think that ppl on the dance floor will be open minded enough so they can accept something different then the usual 4/4 on dance music and also dance to that?
northernlight
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by northernlight »

steevio wrote:
northernlight wrote:
i dont find that either.
i'm a promoter, and i look for non-formulaic music, infact if i wasnt offering fresh music, i wouldnt be doing my job.
that's why i wrote "in my experience" :wink:

usualy the promoter is the first filter, of many, before the music comes to the dancers. and for me, most of the time it's there where a lot of interesseting stuff is filtered out. I can understand that quality control and money are important. but a bit of risk can go a long way. i experience dancers and djs as much more open than promoters, which narrow down to the style that will fill the club/venue.
argh, this is just rambling about. better ignore it :D
northernlight
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by northernlight »

Bogdan wrote:i understand that you make music with one thing in mind - dancing, but do you think that ppl on the dance floor will be open minded enough so they can accept something different then the usual 4/4 on dance music and also dance to that?
i think it has a lot to do how you introduce the music. I can not go to a minimal club and play dubstep for 2 hours. no one will get it. but if i start with a bit of minimal and carefully introduce new elements, it can happen that the people get dragged over and dance their ass off to the most obscure rhythms.

sure, one needs a bit of luck to pull this off. but there is also skill in selection, programming and crowd reading. if i get it right, i can play anything and people will love it. just one example: i did a reedit of "Prince - When doves cry" to play in my minimal sets. just some basic cut & paste to make it mixable. and most of the time it works great. but i have to get people to accept it, by building up to it before dropping it. the track you just played is a important as the track you play right now and the next one you are going to play.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Bogdan wrote:i understand that you make music with one thing in mind - dancing, but do you think that ppl on the dance floor will be open minded enough so they can accept something different then the usual 4/4 on dance music and also dance to that?
i think its frustrating that the people who are resisting what i'm saying are under the impression i'm advocating some sort of weird un-danceable music to replace our beloved 4/4.
this is the limitations of posting on forums !
you're not really getting my point. i'm a dance music musician, i use a 4/4 pulse in most of my music, i get booked to play in clubs, people dance when i play, and i'm not greeted with a stony silence when i finish. i want people to move in different ways, i want them to have a good time, i want them to think 'i really enjoyed that, i danced in new ways, it was refreshing'
just because i want to use unusual loop lengths, and punctuate my tunes in suprising places, try rhythmic structures that dont adhere to 2/4/6/8 etc, doesnt mean people cant dance to it.
i really dont have a problem making people dance, if i did i would be being a self indulgent nerd, and i might as well give up now.
open-mindedness doesnt come into it, your body knows the score.