Ensoniq dp4/+ has someone experience ?

- ask away
mo's taverne
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Ensoniq dp4/+ has someone experience ?

Post by mo's taverne »

i'm thinking about to buy an ensoniq dp4/+ to spice up my setup in terms of outboard sound processing and sound mangling.
I want to use it's 4 seperate channels along with a Nord Modular (the first version which hasn't delay/reverb) and a Mpc 1000. I think that would be a decent non-computer-involved setup. Of course i do recording and a part of sequencing in my computer, but i want to get a hands on feel.

So my question:
How operates the dp4/+ in terms of workflow and intuitivity ? How is the overall qualitiy of efffects? Any tips or beware of's?

Thanks folks!
...:.::.:::.:.....::....:...::...::.::::....::...:....

http://biloba.twoday.net/
fredrik_h
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fredrik_h »

mortiz, it's a great effect unit. maybe not in terms of realism what goes for reverbs but who cares - it sounds very spacious and nice.
the DP2/DP4/+ has a great well known phaser and it has some really sweet routing abilities too.

I've had high-end reverbs, but this still remains my favourite together with SRV-330 from Roland... They have character of their own in my opinion.
JackNine
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JackNine »

Make sure you check out all four channels of the unit thoroughly before you buy it. I had the DP/4+ for a long time as the main processor in my studio until the channels went bad for some reason. Not quite sure what happened but the effects just started to get really noisy and there was no way to get rid of it.

As to the unit itself, it's not the easiest thing to use but it makes great sound. Like fredrik said it has a unique old-school feel to it. I'm actually very partial to the DP/4 and the Boss SE-50 over anything I have now, it's just what I have now is more intuitive and easier to use.

I believe Hawtin used the DP/4 series on a lot of his recordings and just by fiddling around with it you can find some of his distinct sounds on there.
mo's taverne
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mo's taverne »

Hey thanks for your opinions.

I think that's what i'm looking after - an effect processor with character (to a reasonable price). The soundengine (operates at 32khz) will give a unique touch, i can imagine (and i'm not after an ultrarealistic verb simulation). And thought it could break my fingers, i will get used to program it. The 4 seperate channels are a very practical thing, and will integrate perfectly in my setup.

I've read somewhere about hawtins use of a dp4, which makes the unit neither more nor less interesting to me.

Greets to falun, fredrik.
...:.::.:::.:.....::....:...::...::.::::....::...:....

http://biloba.twoday.net/
Anonym
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Anonym »

I have had my DP2 for a very long time and I think the DP2 and DP4 and some of the best sound I have found..... Enjoy
Where where where am I? Who who am I?
mattdubois
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mattdubois »

I used to own a dp/2 and dp/4 for use in my techno livePA and home studio....I found them to be fantastic items for the price I paid (one used off the net, the other used from a guitar shop) that not only had the range of efx I needed but also way more useability/deep tweak and mod and i/o routing options than other units going for more $$ ....but the internal battery died on the dp/2 and I never was able to get it replaced and eventually sold it on ebay "as is"/spare parts, and the DP/4 finally went to another when I did a mass hardware off load...and as mentioned already, make sure you can check out the entire functionality and condition before buying, as the i/o on my dp/4 got glitchy (not just "dirty") over time
aallvor
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by aallvor »

If you have trouble finding a Dp2/Dp4 in good condition, there's also the Korg AM8000. Not suggesting it can beat the Ensoniqs in terms of sound quality, but it's sort of the same concept, with two highly configurable fx engines + delay/reverb. And they're really cheap as well.