The best system for vynil recording?

- ask away
milc
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

The best system for vynil recording?

Post by milc »

hi,
recently i've tried to record some vynils to use in conectiv/torc system.
i've used ortofon concorde pro (i know it's not the best, but i have just that one for now..), and m-audio conectiv audio interface.
and actually, i've just remarked that the audio signal is very very very weak.
it's not even a half of normal amplitude of my mp3s.

another problem, is that when i play real vynils alongside with mp3s (controlled via coded vynil), i have to set the gain control of phono channel at almost 200% to line channel.

what kind of system do you guys use to dizitalize vynils?
is the audio interface is important? for exemple, FS2 has more powerful phono preamp?

please share some experiences,

thanks!
relative q
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by relative q »

I just use the outputs of my mixer into my 828. I've not really gotten to mess with the Connectiv yet though, so I can't really compare.
i require more bass.

blingin rims at reasonable prices: netlabel reviews and other dumb sh!t
relative q web presence
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

the cartridge is not so important (for ripping) as long as its fairly new. what you need to do is:

turntable--->mixer(phono)--->souncard input--->recording application.

two things you need to watch for - one is that the peaks on your mixer dont go in the red too much (especially if its not the best mixer out there), and two - you need to monitor the peaks in the recording application so that they reach the highest possible level without clipping.
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

s.k. wrote:the cartridge is not so important (for ripping) as long as its fairly new.
some audiofile could disagree here.

I wouldn't use a dj cartridge, rather an hifi one, you get better sound quality.
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

i solved this problem, with digital cable.

ive got a numark ttx and it has digital out (coaxial) and i connect it to my soundcards digital input and its all ready!

althou what i was doing some time ago,when i didnt have the digi option, was that i connected the turntable into the mixer and the mixers output to the soundcard. Then i set the eqs at 12 o'clock and the level to hit slightly 0 db.
after i recorded it i fucked around a bit with waves plugins (xhum and xnoise)

I got a decent result from that too, althou the digi version is much better.
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

sorgenkind, you are right, hi-fi ones do have a better sound quality. maybe i didnt express myself properly, what i meant was that NewGuy's problem most probably doesnt come from the cartridge :)