Producing With Minimal

- ask away
provaznik
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by provaznik »

did it give the track a real tin can feel? like old blues vocals or something? if so great idea. that circuitry seems to be made for that type of sound.
skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by skept »

if software piracy was not so prevalent people would have no choice but to use less.

after i quite pirating software and started buying all of my tools or using quality free ones my sound improved quite a bit. i began focusing on getting the most out of the DAW i purchased and the plugins that came with it instead of getting overwhelmed by 1000s of "toys".

so what i am getting at is that the technique you describe is preferable to me.
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

skept wrote:if software piracy was not so prevalent people would have no choice but to use less.

after i quite pirating software and started buying all of my tools or using quality free ones my sound improved quite a bit. i began focusing on getting the most out of the DAW i purchased and the plugins that came with it instead of getting overwhelmed by 1000s of "toys".

so what i am getting at is that the technique you describe is preferable to me.
all the synths that i have, i've obtained them legaly.
but with fx plugins its different, i have some legal ones but i have some that cost really, really too much and i just cant afford to buy.
tzusing
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tzusing »

Torque wrote: unless your Kraftwerk, then its about the man-machine
W3RD!
Ruso
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Ruso »

it's not really about man or machine... it's about how much time man puts into learning his main machine.... I do have to say I've been playing on two electribes for months now and even tho I feel like I know them, every day I learn something new which ads new dimentions to my sets....

same thing happened when I first started in ableton... for several months I stopped making songs and just tinkered with weird sounds and different options that I thought i'd never use....

learn it, develop a style with it, own it.
sparticus_lives
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by sparticus_lives »

Ruso wrote:it's not really about man or machine... it's about how much time man puts into learning his main machine.... I do have to say I've been playing on two electribes for months now and even tho I feel like I know them, every day I learn something new which ads new dimentions to my sets....

same thing happened when I first started in ableton... for several months I stopped making songs and just tinkered with weird sounds and different options that I thought i'd never use....

learn it, develop a style with it, own it.
I like your words man!

Just do what you gotta do....
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Ruso wrote:it's not really about man or machine... it's about how much time man puts into learning his main machine....
so true !!
and also how much time we put into learning about music, i learn something new every day, and i've been doing this for many years.
your machines are your instruments, you have to be bass player, drummer, percusionist, etc. etc. and you have to learn it all.
Ruso
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Ruso »

I saw this guy once on the streets... he had a pentium 1 lap top which was tunning some sort of a basic sequencer and an effects processor... he had this whole cart deal on wheels with those giant blue water jugs, all sorta of tin cans and a few mics... he was basically drumming on those and he knew his effects so well that some of his drums produces melodies and some percussion.... and I mean it was fukcing great for what it was....

and also how much time we put into learning about music,

also true... after I spend hours and hours and days in the den... I come out and sit in front of my computer and listen to music of the same style as I produce and I filter out certain things that the author does and when, what waveforms and how they're used and how effects are applied... what sounds good, what FEELS good... how sounds morph into each other and back... so on... I sat down at guitar center on one of them studio computers they have on display with a base live 5.... no new samples NO NOTHING and I created music that was good simply because I could apply everything I already know to it...

keep at it, I use my headphones to record samples into my electribe ESX-1 sometimes when I take it to work.. ;)