Post by primevil »

Celltek wrote:A nice interview about Dubstep and Villalobos:

http://phs.abstractdynamics.org/2007/01 ... villa.html
cool interview...cheers dude!
Cleetus_Van_Damme
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Cleetus_Van_Damme »

hotflush records sounds fit in well with minimal, i wouldnt play a lot of the jungle/gunshots etc style stuff, but stuff like scuba-harpoon and monolith fit in nicely.

Dubstep and Jeff Mills stuff go together lovely too!
Audio Dependent
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Audio Dependent »

i think that dubstep and minimal have a lot in common with each other: they both condense musical ideas from many different genres and rework and evolve these ideas into a new sound. in this thread people have sited the roots of dubstep as dnb, garage and grime, but its actually alot broarder than that. the framework came from the garage scene at the point where garage got way too comercial and producers began to move away from this sound. influences came from everywhere from dub to electronica, dancehall to techno and breakbeats to dnb. these influences were then stripped back to they're purist for in much the same way as minmal strips back techno, house, electro, etc.

however the way in which a dubstep night and a minimal night flow and the atmosphere of the crowd is very diferent. how often do you hear a rewind at a techno night? yet at dubstep night you get bombarded with them. and mcs play a role in dubstep.

althought the music has similar ideals and maybe even sounds, they both create very different atmospheres imo. i think it would be interesting to go to a night where you had a minimal room side by side with a dubstep one, but i think the crossover between the two crowds wouldn't happen.
dncn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dncn »

its hardly a new thing tho, mary anne hobbes has been playing minimal and dubstep hand in hand on the same show for easily over a year now.
gillsans
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by gillsans »

Keepin' the beats deep in the groove bunker
dom
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by dom »

great fusion! nu dub 8)
nowayback
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by nowayback »

mr.nestor wrote:mary anne hobbes forthcoming show probably will clear this :)

02/03 - Ricardo Villalobos vs DJ Pinch

can't wait actually
quoting mary anne's post on another forum regarding this:

"this is a show to represent the exchange of ideas and influences, and the love that's evolving between the worlds of minimal techno and dubstep..
creating another fascinating new pathway for sound..

Pinch and Villalobos will deliver individual mixes, they're not playing back to back..
just so you know, it's never about 'forcing' anything.. if artists decide to respond to a brief from the show, it's because they think it's an exciting challenge... just as Vex'd & Distance have done this week.. but then, as with all my guest, they have carte blanche to do whatever they want with their mixes...

the show is all about pushing creative ideas forward.. and giving producers a platform to experiment on radio in a ways they may have never done before... but producers are free to manipulate those ideas in any way they choose...

the show will be March 9th now i think... will keep you posted...

it's great to see so much excitement.... i think this one will be fascinating.. Smile

all love

m/a.. x"
i can remember when the air was clean and sex was dirty.
http://prop4g4nd4.com