ableton - 2 pcs midi syncd, slave not receiving swing change

- ask away
skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

ableton - 2 pcs midi syncd, slave not receiving swing change

Post by skept »

got two pcs midi synced both running ableton live. the tempo on the master affects the tempo of the slave but the same is not true for the swing which must be manually set.

one control can be mapped to both swings (with some fancy midi routing on the master) but this lags and is not exact.

any ideas on solving this problem or what i may be doing wrong?
d-rokc
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by d-rokc »

swing is not transmitted via midi clock. only tempo, start, stop and messages that indicate the song position. :?
rock beyond believe
d-rokc
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by d-rokc »

one way i would approach it is send 'note on' midi messages from a track on the master machine to a track(s) on the slave that you need to accept the swing. this way when you change the swing on the master, the notes' timing on the master track will change, triggering the same timing on the slave track. you should be able to even set multiple 'couples' of (master-slave) tracks with the same swing settings.

this maybe the hardest way to do it but cant think of anything else right off...
skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by skept »

d-rokc wrote:swing is not transmitted via midi clock. only tempo, start, stop and messages that indicate the song position. :?
exactly what i needed to know! i was wondering if that was the case but hadn't had time to RTFM yet.

thanks for the info.