the RIAA vs DJ Drama

Post by fl0w »

:.: : :: : :.: .:. :.
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

yeah this is indeed fucked up.
next we have "pirated live sets" and "pirated mixes" recorded from parties - so no live sets / mixes sections in forums anymore - great! :evil:
Record companies usually portray the fight against piracy as a fight for artists’ rights...
yeah right :x
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
vermi
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by vermi »

i understood this as that it's not allowed to sell mixtapes with other producers work on unless you have licensed the tracks on the tape.

not sure though..
eyliusevil
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by eyliusevil »

I could only see this happeneing in the hip hop/rap world, and i can only see this happening in the united states too.
Sneaky
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Sneaky »

ofcourse this makes me want to puke...
ofthecrane
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ofthecrane »

Sneaky wrote:ofcourse this makes me want to puke...
This happened right behind my building.
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

Robot Criminal wrote:yeah this is indeed fucked up.
next we have "pirated live sets" and "pirated mixes" recorded from parties - so no live sets / mixes sections in forums anymore - great! :evil:
Record companies usually portray the fight against piracy as a fight for artists’ rights...
yeah right :x
Right on

it's been happening left right and centre - tho no criminal proceedings have been brought yet AFAIK (In techno/minimal land that is) - there have been a number of incidents where people are being asked to remove the offending sets.

Even through generally - the sets are available fro free and hosted with the best intentions - it is still a violation, and the collection agencies do have the right to enforce this.

However - i've only seen it happen to sites which openly advertise the fact that they are hosting - eg: it's the actual forum/site etc hosting them - not individuals which are harder to crack down on.

DJmixtapes.com would be an example - i mean - it's like wearing a big badge saying we're hosting copyrighted material in order to attract a crowd of listeners.

I'd say mnml is under the radar - as are for example club forums which might happen to occasionally host the odd mix.

It's terrible though that you can't give folk copies of mixes over the internet - really sucks and it's an infringements on our own right to entertain ourselves !!

i mean - sure - selling them would be bad, as would be packaging it up as your own sh!t - but considering the context of a lot of techno and house is how it fits into the mix - cracking down on this too much is destroying an important promotional tool for electronic artists and sweeping away the very culture this music is founded on.

Quite simply the collection agencies are not in line with the requirements of modern music, and should address this, thing is - as i understand - there are lots of different collection agencies - so it would be v difficult to get them ALL to agree on changes perhaps ?
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

AVX23 wrote:Quite simply the collection agencies are not in line with the requirements of modern music, and should address this, thing is - as i understand - there are lots of different collection agencies - so it would be v difficult to get them ALL to agree on changes perhaps ?
right on the money
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...