Maximalism

- open
[((-))]
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Maximalism

Post by [((-))] »

A friend showed me the wiki entry to this term the other day.

It kinda hits home in the context of netlabels. Here, which is kinda ironic, considering that this recent explosion [ten years approx] of minimal and lo-fi musics exists within the context of a maximum amount of released downloads and mass internet media.

Small, yet Omnipresent.
Maximalism
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maximalism is a term used in literature, art, multimedia and graphical design, and music to apply to post-minimalist movements or works, named in analogy with minimalism. It is not currently in wide use, though it has become more prominent as of 2004.

Maximalism as a genre in the plastic arts emphasises work-intensive practices and concentrates on the process of creation itself. Works from this genre are generally bright, sensual, and visually rich. Artists who do work described as maximalist tend to come from Asian countries, in particular China.

Maximalism is used to describe the very extended post-modern novels, such as those by David Foster Wallace and Thomas Pynchon, where digression, reference, and elaboration of detail occupy a greater and greater fraction of the text. It is also called hysterical realism, a term coined by James Wood, who argues that it is a genre similar to magical realism.

Maximalism is used by some to describe composers such as John Luther Adams, who have "gone beyond" the origins of minimalist music. Serialist Charles Wuorinen self-identifies as a maximalist.

In the more general sense "maximalism" is applied to any doctrine or school of thought that extends its basic principles to the largest possible area. For example a "maximalist" vision of a nation state is one that encompasses all of the areas where the nationality is abundant, a "maximalist" program in science asserts the strongest possible form of its axioms.

Maximalism and the Internet

In early 2005, sound artist David Kirby released Maximalism, a sound collage consisting of approximately twenty-five thousand short audio clips, culled from 2,712 albums, and pieced together in a "somewhat coherent fashion." This piece would not have been possible even ten years ago, considering that the majority of the albums used in Maximalism were acquired via file-sharing. However, this monolithic work barely scratches the surface of the possibilities that the internet has now provided for maximalist art. With so much information readily available online, it only seems natural that artists and musicians will continue to exploit this information for maximalist artistic purposes, hopefully someday living up to the lofty title of maximalism. By this understanding, maximalism can be seen as an artistic movement that is only just beginning, and every work thus far can be seen as merely a glimpse into the true maximalist art that will surely come tomorrow.
go kids :arrow:
emoke
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by emoke »

ahw, we all are maximalists, aren't we? :)
I own all of your candies!
thom
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thom »

*gesticulates like an art critique would*

Hm... interesting.

Now let's talk about maximal dancing/clothing/food/sex/minimalism. lol

I know my attention span is rather minimfuckthat'sboringciao
[((-))]
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by [((-))] »

Did you guys check out kirby's piece?

http://www.homophoni.com/homo004.html

check out the list of albums too, looks just like an ipod...

http://www.homophoni.com/sources.html

:shock:
emoke
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by emoke »

I thought maximalism means something like perfectionism... eh :)
I own all of your candies!
dou
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dou »

maximilise to minimalise
the "minimal" trend has maximised