attention fellow producers..... rampant piracy

- wax
Zoiberg
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Zoiberg »

There's good and bad stuff on netlabels as well as on commercial labels.
We just need some new tools to dig and find what we like.

And, speaking about music, I think there's no quality, just taste.
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

theclockstrucktwelve wrote:
Der geile Ami wrote: I would imagine the perlon guys know what they are doing and will change their business model when they see need to.
I don't think so.. they don't even have a functional website and haven't in years. They have a neat little old fashioned mail order record kinda vibe going on, but it's about time they got with the times. Luckily, no hair off my balls over it because they haven't put anything out all that worth having IMO any time recently.
Why do they need a website at all? Do they need it because so many others do? What if what they are doing works for the goals they have with their music and label? When records were the only format djs would play, some labels decided to press limited runs of tracks. How is this any different? If their music isnt to your taste, then what they are doing with their stuff should not affect you.
freeeeeee
theclockstrucktwelve
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by theclockstrucktwelve »

Zoiberg wrote:There's good and bad stuff on netlabels as well as on commercial labels.
We just need some new tools to dig and find what we like.
If you can point me to some good techno or minimal (read: not house with "new" tiny sounds), please do. I've even found descriptions from netlabels saying "check out this new dark and twisted thing from ______, blah blah blah"... i'd check it out and guess what? It's more sissy pads and shitty bedroom music.

Zoiberg wrote: And, speaking about music, I think there's no quality, just taste.
You're wrong about this one. As with any art, music has qualitative properties that can be observed, articulated and discussed without any dependence on an individual's personal taste. Individual taste comes into play beside all of this. For instance: I hate trance. That's a taste thing. But I can spot the difference between a solid production and something thrown together in five minutes by a producer of limited experience.

Music, also like any art, isn't 100% art - there are sciences involved. And hence have quantitative elements that can be measured as well. The most obvious example of this is the technical components to a production... ie - someone who doesn't know how to mix* can completely destroy what might have been a good track.

So yes, there is "quality".

(*note - I for some reason have a looming feeling that there's some amateurs lurking that will think "mix" means "DJ".. im referring here to the process of mixing a track in a studio.. getting all your levels, eq, compression, blahbity blah laid out properly).

"...Michaelangelo is a PARTY DUDE.. *PAARTEEEEEEE!* "
theclockstrucktwelve
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Der geile Ami wrote:
Der geile Ami wrote: I would imagine the perlon guys know what they are doing and will change their business model when they see need to.
I don't think so.. they don't even have a functional website and haven't in years. They have a neat little old fashioned mail order record kinda vibe going on, but it's about time they got with the times. Luckily, no hair off my balls over it because they haven't put anything out all that worth having IMO any time recently.
Why do they need a website at all? Do they need it because so many others do? What if what they are doing works for the goals they have with their music and label? When records were the only format djs would play, some labels decided to press limited runs of tracks. How is this any different? If their music isnt to your taste, then what they are doing with their stuff should not affect you.
Couple angles I could take with this. but if for no other reason, they should have a website as a courtesy to their fanbase / customers. People want to hear news of new releases straight from the source and find out what artists are up to, etc. I'm with you on the part about goals, etc. But I think maybe I'm meaning it's not about doing the bare minimum to achieve those business goals. I bet they could even get some excited perlon fanboy to make them a website for free.

from a business standpoint - it's just silly not to have a website. there's tangible reasons as well as abstract ones for this. this is where your argument might come into play though.

kans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kans »

subtropical wrote:
subtropical wrote:
theclockstrucktwelve wrote: I think it's naturally assumed that when talking about music in a broad way like that - that the things said by any participating party are completely subjective. Yes, my tastes are subjective and pertaining to me specifically and I don't like any of the wimpy netlabel music out there. if you noticed, I was talking about myself specifically in a lot of that post. Still, regardless of perceived "how good something is", the type of music available isn't subjective. It's fact, not opinion, that netlabels are 90% dubby microhouse and it's fact that I hate that sht ;)

Oh, and your statement here is completely subjective too.
My statement wasn't subjective, I was simply pointing out that yours was- (I know it's your opinion and that is precisely why it is subjective, because you stated it as if it was fact). And the following sentence was a joke to combat your rudeness toward the netlabel scene.

And moving on now, I'm curious about your taste in dance music...you hate trance, prog and now all forms of dubby, micro house and all netlabel music...

what are you into? name some artists or labels if you would...
Quality is something that can be measured independent of one's taste for particular types of music.

What am I into? A lot of things. Certainly not "pretty" music when it comes to dance music. I dunno what to name, if I were to name a couple examples it would give the unfair impression that they are favorites of mine when that isn't neccearily the case. I just like music with a bit of balls to it... or something a little on the darker side of things. Sometimes I like weird dark minimal sht and I also like crazy modern rave screamers. what more can I say? there isn't much out in netlabel land that fits into either catagory.
Hmmm, very disappointing, couldn't you drop a FEW names?
i dunno, maybe I was sidestepping a little because I can't think of a lot I like at the moment? :)

I like *some* of the audion (the hits, mostly...kisses, titty fck for example), I like a lot of the minus cats, I sort of liked some of the stuff alter ego were doing at one point but they kinda suck again now... some of the recent costello sht, most of my at home or work listening though is DJ sets i grab from this board....(magda ones are often full of tracks I love).. none of this should be taken as definitive indication of what I consider the best / my faves.. just a couple examples.
I think these two can't stand to be apart... how sweet :oops: :P

You guys should MSN eachother
theclockstrucktwelve
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

kans wrote:I think these two can't stand to be apart... how sweet :oops: :P

You guys should MSN eachother
fck you

kans
mnml mmbr