Bottom end of mix/Sub Bass

- ask away
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

livecollective wrote:If you want full, spacious music and big sub bass, TURN DOWN YOUR SUB BASS, turn it down to -12db and start your kick at -6db and go from there.

You'd be suprised how much louder everything gets when you are not taking up so much energy from the bass.

Less bass is more bass.... seriously though.

This is a million percent true! I'm pretty lucky to have a friend who has a mobile soundsystem. 15 or 16 15" subs, maybe more. It's massive. It's usually in a trailor, but we hooked it up in his basement over the weekend. I ran a few of my tracks through it and really got a feel for what the bottom end is up to. Something that is so minute in the studio comes blazing through when listening to it there. It really made me rethink how liberal I've been with the sub line.
Myfirstcasio
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Myfirstcasio »

damagedgoods wrote:
Myfirstcasio wrote:
damagedgoods wrote:Couple of tips:
1) Depends on the situation of course, but the effectiveness of a sub bassline is only about 20% dependent on the bass itself. It's really important to pay attention to what's going on *around* the bass, because a pure sine wave needs to be given space in order to work well.
By the space around the sound, do you mean freeing up the frquencies around the sub (creating empty/silent content) or paying attention to additional harmonics in this space?
Both, but I actually meant the mix as a whole. When you have quite a stripped back arrangement (which IMHO is where subs work best), the effectiveness of the sub is directly related to what the hihats and percussion and everything else are doing. I guess what I'm trying to say is that from a psychoacoustic standpoint, the purity of a low sine wave means that its interpretation by the listener's ears depends a lot more on its context than, say, a big fat saw lead, which leaves very little to the imagination...
Got ya, I will keep that in mind, thanks dude. 8)
Dusk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dusk »

Take a sine wave, maybe sampled from an analogue synth (I use Trilogy for this)

->good dose of saturation and/or overdrive

->24 db LP filter right down at between 100 and 150 hz

->heavy compression (6-9dB gain reduction)

->optional sidechain limiter linked to your kick, if using a longer release on the sine wave

-> switch between monitors and headphones to monitor! Cans typically go lower and are free of the acoustic interference and standing waves which can destroy any chance of creating accurate sub bass
Some music:
www.myspace.com/cloakmusic

Reviews, news and more:
www.inverted-audio.co.uk
maximini
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by maximini »

damagedgoods wrote:case in point: listen to deadly deep subs by dillinja. then listen to slap by umek. ;)
damnit... again this umek track :shock:
damagedgoods
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by damagedgoods »

maximini wrote:
damagedgoods wrote:case in point: listen to deadly deep subs by dillinja. then listen to slap by umek. ;)
whoooosh
o b j e k t

www.keinobjekt.de
Daemonix
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Daemonix »

Dusk wrote:Take a sine wave, maybe sampled from an analogue synth (I use Trilogy for this)

->good dose of saturation and/or overdrive

->24 db LP filter right down at between 100 and 150 hz

->heavy compression (6-9dB gain reduction)

->optional sidechain limiter linked to your kick, if using a longer release on the sine wave

-> switch between monitors and headphones to monitor! Cans typically go lower and are free of the acoustic interference and standing waves which can destroy any chance of creating accurate sub bass
In my case I have tested a triangle wave (I use a Tetra) but I thing with the LP filter so low is almost the same as a sine. is killing the harmonics
Brankis
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Brankis »

you can do it with a single pure sine wave

there are alot of techniques to getting a fat bass sound. but i honestly believe the main concern is in the tuning/musical relationship in the bass/kick and rest of the track that makes it sound "big"

more about music than production process imo
Minimal Samples
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Minimal Samples »

damagedgoods wrote:
maximini wrote:
whoooosh
Lol, you're too cruel :P
http://minimalsamples.com - Submit 20 original minimal loops & samples and get the entire archive for free.

Techno & Minimal Techno News Blog