What to start with??

- open
miroslav
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miroslav »

My $.02... it really depends on your connection to the music format. I'm also DJ Nobody, with a huge vinyl collection... because that was what I was around when I first got into the music. I frequented my local record store and fell in love with every aspect of it. I made good money and decided to collect it, even if I never made a cent off of it. It was a very good arrangement for me because I was more than just a DJ; I was also a collector of the art and the medium. I do more digital now that I live in a small apartment that can't accommodate my collection, but I still go back to it when I can.

So it kind of depends on how you see yourself. If you just want to most conveniently mix a few tunes, sure, digital is just fine. If you're more of a collector, then maybe vinyl gives you more satisfaction.

But it is a bit of a commitment... in terms of space and dollars.
Del
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Del »

Basically what Miroslav was saying, it depends on what your relationship with the music is like. If you love collecting vinyl as much as you enjoy listening to the music then vinyl is anything but "too expensive". In fact you'll appreciate spending your money on vinyl. For Me it's where I get most value for the cash I spend. God knows I could be buying more clothes and head out on more random weekends and spend a fortune pissing it up against the wall... I prefer to have something to show for my cash.

I have friends that spend twice the money I spend on vinyl per month on coke. And I'm the one with the expensive habit! :lol:

However if you just want tracks to do a bit of mixing here and there and not care so much about having a 'collection' which requires a fair amount of cash then digital is the way.

As everyone else has said, do what YOU find most enjoyable and not what you THINK you should be doing for other reasons.
JonasEdenbrandt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JonasEdenbrandt »

I have a digital set-up like a virtual dj thing with two turntables and a mixer hooked up with the computer. But i must say i really enjoy just giving the computer the finger and mixing my vinyls instead. computers just don't work well enough a record never lags you don't have to connect the USB cable over and over again with vinyl, and man you are going to love the tracks you have on vinyl. Just listening threw some of my basic channel stuff on vinyl gives me goosebumps in a way no mp3 file ever could.

But then again i guess this is kind of a from person to person thing, some people are going to love vinyl in a very neerdy and unexplainable way and some people are going to like mp3s and the digital world.
good_god
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by good_god »

if you aren't serious and want decks go for used, of course.
techs are nice, but a carefully se pair of low-end direct drives will be enough. i've found that stantons hold pitch better than most low-end decks.