Cheap HW synth better than Soft Synths?

- ask away
N - Jay
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Cheap HW synth better than Soft Synths?

Post by N - Jay »

Guys,

Entry level synthesizers like the Juno-G and MicroKorg are nice synths to begin with, as I'm a beginner.

But are they worth investing when you've already got VSTs like FM8, Massive and Zebra for example(considering these are "the better VSTs")?
Or Komplete for 500 euros.

We all want a Jupiter 8, SH 101 or Clavia Nord. But me cannot afford that (yet).

So where is the line when buying a hardware synth pays off compared to the top VSTs?
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

Hands on feel and fluidity of programing are the most important advantages of a hardware synth (for me!!).

In terms of sound soft synths are pretty amazing now, so Its not really worth obsessing over the sound difference between hardware and software.

Microkorg is good, a lot of established electronic musicians use it, maybe not the mnml dudes but the electro guys a la Siriusmo for example do use it.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Cheap HW synth better than Soft Synths?

Post by tone-def »

not all hardware synths are better than software and not all software are better than hardware.

it depends on the features of the synths and what sounds you are trying to make.
Casanova808
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Casanova808 »

It isn't that easy.

What you really have to ask is if a piece of gear can do something that software cannot.

If you look at it that way, I don't think synths like the Korg R3 or the Roland Gaia offer anything that you cannot do in the computer. That is why I think old digital synths that are not "technically" as good as newer stuff are still worth considering.

Operator and FM8 can do the same thing as a DX7 or a DX100, they still don't quite nail the sound of the shitty converters and the 8 bit samples used by the oscillators. You can program the exact same patches, but you don't quite get the dirt. You can say the same thing about any of the crappy digital synths of the 80s/early 90's.

It is the same thing with analogue. VST can pretty much nail most VA and digital stuff, but it still doesn't quite rip like old VCO based monosynths.

SO the question is, do you get a cheap va synth that sounds exactly like your vsts, or do you save a bit more and get something a bit nicer that you can't easily replicate ITB.

For me, drum machines still can't be replicated ITB. You can get samples of the machines, but their sequencers all have very specific feels that cannot be easily replicated. My set up is all hardware(because I am a dinosaur who started before computers, and I didn't switch in the 00's when they still sucked for music) but computers are getting so good for music. A decade ago, not so much, but they keep getting better and there will be very little need for new hardware in five years.
Casanova808
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Casanova808 »

Also, if you have money burning a hole in your pocket and you don't play a traditional instrument, buy one. A decent 88 key digital piano or a set of congas will not set you back that much and will make you a hell of a lot better at music.

If you are just starting out with computer and some software, and no musical experience, you really need to start working with an instrument. You don't need to be a concert pianist, but the first thing you need to get used to is using your hands to make music.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Casanova808 wrote:If you are just starting out with computer and some software, and no musical experience, you really need to start working with an instrument. You don't need to be a concert pianist, but the first thing you need to get used to is using your hands to make music.
+1000... I wish you would have told me this 17 years ago. I've always shy'd away from doing any true real time playing, always programming and sequencing... I just started taking lessons a bit ago and this has really helped me understand what music is all about. Its totally rewiring my brain for music and because of this I'm so much happier about music now than ever.
Casanova808
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Casanova808 »

It is one of those things that makes your life hard for a little bit and so much easier in the long run. I wish I had put more effort into learning to play when I was younger, my music would have been so much better and I would have wasted so much less time.

It sounds cliched, but if you want to go anywhere in dance music, spend your time learning to write music, and don't worry so much about being a "producer". There are a million kids with the same software trying to make it, and so few of them are writing songs worth remembering. If you can do it even a little bit, it will help your career so much.

Just look at that James Blake guy. He is fucking horrible, but since he is young and handsome, can sing a little bit, and has a little bit of musicality people are lining up to bob on his nuts. He is fucking awful, but it just goes to show how low the bar is right now.

Maya Coles is another one of those young, cute, and barely musical people who have a career because they can string a few patterns together with a mediocre hook.

If you will pay the little bit of dues it takes to get above that bar, it will pay huge dividends. It takes so little right now to make it, people just don't know how to do it.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Same as the above two. Wish I had made more of an effort when I was younger to learn the piano. For about two years now I have been thinking about taking lessons, but laziness has always got the better of me.

I would still get a synth though rather then a VST. I have learnt a lot more about synthesis since I made the move over to hardware. I guess the hands on approach has made me delve deeper. There are some freeware synths though that I have that I love and still need to replace with the real things.