New Synth? ( Hardware )

- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

New Synth? ( Hardware )

Post by AK »

Thinking about getting something new. So far, I have looked at the Alesis Andromeda, the Virus TI, the Prophet 08 and the Nord Wave.

I'm edging towards the Nord Wave, I have some time to think about it as I have to wait until I have sold my house until I can afford to buy anything.

Anyway, has anybody here got a Nord Wave? Or has anybody used one? I'm not bothered about getting an analog synth as such, it crossed my mind to look at the Voyager but I can't justify that money for a monosynth.

Currently reading up about the synths I have mentioned and the A6 seems terribly faulty/buggy. On paper, the specs blow me away but I have been on the forum looking at the various issues people have encountered and I must say it's putting me off getting one.

The Prophet 08: Have read various stuff about this and saw that it's DCO with a limited sound pallete and numerous people have said the top VSTi's are capable of competing with it at a sonic level. I dunno?

The Virus ti, heard it doesn't sound that great and that it has more bugs than a council estate take away, the reviews quickly put me off.

An excellent SoS review of the Nord Wave got me interested in looking into detail about this synth and so far that's what I'm doing, so yeah, if anybody has some experience of this synth, I'd appreciate some first hand info.

Most of my gear is in storage ( Including my computer ) so browsing is limited to library and mobile phone - which is seriously sluggish to say the least hence me not following up and finding out heaps for myself.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

DSI synths sound better than any software i've used. i wouldn't say it had a limited sound palette. it might if your comparing it to the A6, which is probably the most complex analog poly ever made.

the virus seems a bit pointless these days. the top softsynths sound much better imo

don't know much about the nord wave. do you sample stuff with it?
gowans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by gowans »

i aint got a nord wave or used one, but i'd love too! here's a video of mike huckaby throwing some deep chords out there on one that you may like if u aint seen it already

http://www.youtube.com/user/mikehuckaby ... hFt-qeQ4c8

seems great for nice pads/rhodes deep sounding stuff. ive only recently just starting reading on wavetable synths and wouldnt mind picking up a microwave I, no way in my life could i afford the wave tho :(
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

unfortunately, i cant check that vid out yet as im back on my mobile but will do soon.

@ tone-def, you can sample with it yeah but a quick look at the specs earlier on gave me an insight.

Typing on a mobile is a pain but what i gather its a function virtual analog like the nord leads but also has fm synthesis and wavetable/ability to load own samples. 180 meg memory-which is a big amount esp if youre usin single cycled looped waves.

Quite how its implemented i dont know but the guy who wrote the review claimed he tried his hardest to get it to produce aliasing and failed. Much more to it than that though and the specs and reviews got me interested. It won hardware synth of the yr in 2009.

Seems like a synth with limitless potential, capable of any sound out there but ive yet to hear it myself. Prob got presets that arent aimed at our type of music but a glimpse of the synth architecture reveals a huge amount of possibilities for the sound designer.
gowans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by gowans »

sh!t man, i just realised u said nord wave, i have no idea where i got waldorf wave from! ignore me :lol:
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

I have the Prophet 08 at the moment. It's great for pad sounds, effects and drums, but not so great for bass. There are also problems with the encoders, so it would be best to go for the pots version. I have used tons of VSTI's and never came across one that sounds as good as the Prophet.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

I would go with a small modular set up. Using Buchla Music Easel as prototype for structure but using currently available eurorack technology.

For me the core tone modifyers of 2 oscs and 2 filters/vcas, and using 1 to FM the other is very very interesting. You can make them do almost anything and very fun and inspiring to use.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

i doubt i could get into a modular set up, id imagine it would be a totally new journey that wouldnt end. I know analog can do fm but usually its unstable across a keyboard range but then you'd expect that.

Anyway, its not about that for me i just want something that sounds great and inspires me, preferably with a keyboard as i feel more in touch with the instrument.

Further insight into the nord wave reveals it doesnt actually have an option where it functions as a classic wavetable synth, ie: you cant use an lfo to cycle through wavetables/samples, neither can you control the start time of a sampled wave. So in that respect, its static and playback only. Guess thats quite limiting for a synth entitled 'wave'.

I have time to think anyways and im still considering the a6 despite the apparent bugs. In fact im getting a number of things but i already know what they are, its a single high end synth that im unsure about.

Is there anything else worth checking out? @ obli, how does that integrate into your set up, midi?