computer advice

- open
lejockey
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

computer advice

Post by lejockey »

I am looking at buying a new PC laptop for music production. I run Ableton 7 and lots of VSTs (I don't have any hardware other than a midi controller). I am not wanting this to turn into a Mac versus PC argument, so no comments saying 'get a mac' please ;)

I would like the laptop to come with a decent internal soundcard if at all possible, with a couple of inputs for mic's etc. I havent had much luck running external soundcards, so figure if it comes with a decent soundcard it will be speced to run well/reliably with the rest of the parts in the laptop?

Any recomendations on places to buy such laptops greatly received.

Thank you
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

I have been on the same search for the last few weeks. I have not come across the ideal laptop so far so I can't offer a solid recommendation but I will tell ya the key thing I am looking for.

A laptop with a IEEE 1394b connection aka Firewire 800. Its common on many of the new macs but harder to find on PC so far.

IEEE 1394b offers super fast transfer speeds plus its backwards compatible with Firewire 400 if you use a special cable.

I don't know about the whole sound card thing though. If you ever want to record audio or hook your laptop up to a good system for mixdown it would be beneficial to have a good audio interface.

I have a Presonus Firebox that uses firewire 400 so that is why I am so hung up on future laptops having that particular feature. I would recommend it for PC users. I have been using it for quite a while and I have never had a problem except for when I capture video in Adobe Premiere using both Firewire devices at the same time. This may have nothing to do with the audio interface though. More likely its got something to do with my firewire card.

By the way, if you happen to see a good laptop with IEEE 1394b that is not an outrageous price post it up please.
ChrisCV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ChrisCV »

yeah i don't think there are any laptops outthere with a decent inbuilt soundcard...

for music production, they just don't make em small enough to fit in the laptop case...

they're normally onboard motherboard sound cards which are terrible quality....

get a decent spec laptop and budget to buy a decent soundcard.
infernal.techno
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by infernal.techno »

I have an Asus UX50 laptop. It only has a solo-core processor, which is my only regret when I bought it.

But check out other computers in the Asus line. They've been making motherboards since 1990 (and outfitted 1st and 2nd gen ipods and MacBook Pros until a few years ago with their MBs) but just recently started making their own computers. My computer also has a cd/dvd slot-drive, instead of a pop-out tray, which is very convenient.

I paid $450 for mine around Christmas time

500gb harddrive
4g of ram
intel solo-core

everywhere i search it says this computer is $1000 or more, which is really odd because the Asus line is usually relatively cheap. My roommate has an Asus that he paid $500 for. He only has a 250gb harddrive, but it has a dual core processor
- matt
lejockey
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by lejockey »

thank you so much for the replies, @ infernal techno, asus are a company I was not familiar with, am checking out products now :) @Patrick Bateman, my budget is about £800, could stretch to £1000 with a bit more saving
Hutch
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Hutch »

Get a refurb directly from mac, if funds are an issue!
Casanova808
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Casanova808 »

Don't be an asshole, buy a macbook.