Would you produce music you didnt like for money?

- ask away
kristofason
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Would you produce music you didnt like for money?

Post by kristofason »

Im makin a track that i know i'd never buy or play, its soundin really good but i'd never buy it in a million years. Its Swedish House Mafia- esque (everything i hate basically!)
Ive often wondered whether i'd sell out to make money, I reckon i would, sounds terrible!! Maybe use a pseudonym or something!
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Would you produce music you didnt like for money?

Post by AK »

An alias immediately came to mind, 'selling out' is a kind of slanderish term for something that is inherently about making a few quid. In my book, there's nothing wrong with making some money, I'd say about 80% ( at a guess ) of the working population are making money doing things they don't really like. It's not a dent in your armour of artistic credibility as you are under a different name.

I'd say no to using your own producer name with which you associate yourself. I think that much speaks for itself and also ( and I don't mean this in the wrong way ) Why would you be asking this question? Is it for some 'social acceptance'? Co's personally, I wouldn't give a monkey's what other people on a forum had to say about it, if I had the chance to make a few quid, I'd go for it. Why not!
KrisM
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by KrisM »

I'd do it. I'd rather write music I didn't like for money than what I do now :lol: Writing music as my main source of income, even crappy music, would please me much more than sitting at a desk.
kristofason
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by kristofason »

I was just being inquisitive but this is a stupid question! Producers do it all the time...
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

Without any hesitation, Yes!
Although not deathmetal and anything along that line.
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

These answers makes me wonder.
how come none of you make or try to make commercial house or pop music?
obviously, they get more radio plays and some are used in tv commercials and get more money.
and yet, we all focus on making more underground stuff.
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

I don't think there's anything wrong with that. The ability to make music that people buy and enjoy is rare. Why would you not use a talent to make money? I also think it's important to make a distinction between the music you make that you don't feel fully represents you as a person and your commercial stuff you make for money. Lots of people i know have an alias they use for that stuff. There's no shame in it. If making that stuff allows you to stay in the studio and have more time to put towards your art i think it's a brilliant idea.

Now the problem is some people don't have the ability to make sufficiently cheesy stuff and just couldn't do it if they tried. On the other end some people don't have the ability to make sufficiently non cheesy stuff. The person that has the ability to do both is super rare.
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

Stomper wrote:These answers makes me wonder.
how come none of you make or try to make commercial house or pop music?
obviously, they get more radio plays and some are used in tv commercials and get more money.
and yet, we all focus on making more underground stuff.
Well in my case, I would only do commercial stuff if someone came up to me told me that they want me to produce a track for them. Kinda like paying for a service. Someone orders a track, I go and do it. I did actually do a few tracks for fashion shows and small local advertisements, but still not enough to make a living out of it. Hence the day job.... which does take away a significant amount of time and energy.
But to sit down in my studio and to write a commercial or pop track on my own initiative is something I would not do from lack of motivation.