Label that doesn't listen demo

- open
Rose
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Label that doesn't listen demo

Post by Rose »

Hello guys,
I'm writing to you in order to understand if you had/have the same my problems with the label.

I've started to produce my own music three years ago, but I started to send my demo tracks to the label only in the last period as I wanted to achieve a good level before to send out my stuff.

The problems I have is: the major parts of the label doesn't listen my music...for example three weeks ago I sent 3 tracks, through "soundcloud", to 15 labels more or less; as you know, soundcloud indicate how many people listen your music, the result is -> 15 labels received my tracks -> 2 labels listened it(13,3%)...

I wanna say, why they spend their time to indicate their rules on how they want to receive the demos and after they don't listen it?
I understand they receive hundreds of demo per day, I understand they can't answer to all the people, but I think they can listen the tracks at least:-)

What do you think guys? do you have my same problems or am I the unlucky?
S.D.L
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by S.D.L »

search sending tracks to labels.

-edit-
Searched it myself, but it didn't get the proper link..

Maybe somebody knows the actual name? You know, with the Pheek tips in it..
you are what you tweed
Maiyal
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Maiyal »

S.D.L wrote:search sending tracks to labels.

-edit-
Searched it myself, but it didn't get the proper link..

Maybe somebody knows the actual name? You know, with the Pheek tips in it..

It was titled "Demos" or something simple, I believe.
Del
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Del »

Maybe you should try sending the music direct to the labels via post on a CD or something? Write a little bit about yourself, express why you want to release music on their label and present your music in such a way that they have no choice but to listen to it.

You're exactly right, they probably receive LOTS of demos through soundcloud and other upload sites. The key is standing out from the crowd to make your music heard. If it has enough quality you wont be ignored.

Unfortunately people like to take the easy way out. It's quicker and easier just to upload tracks and mixes and expect the world in return.

Just some thoughts.
camus
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by camus »

i've got a very little label , with few releases on beatport.
I get something like 50 tracks a day in my mail box , and i'm not a big label ...
Do you think i've got the time to go on each myspace , each rapidshare , etc ... to listen some sh!t i wouldn't even want to hear ?

i cannot imagine the amount of demos average or big labels get each day , so be patient ...

When a label wants new material , it clearly says "send us a demo now..." otherwise your music wont be checked by the A & R...

So , first be patient ... 3 weeks is nothing , sometimes i get back to the producer 5 - 7 months after ...

Make your music know ... mix it , send it to blogs , friends , etc ... for free first , and maybe they'll talk about you , and they will introduce you to big players ... or wait the moment some label choose to open doors , like lot49 , Heron , or other do ...

but dont complain because nobody answered you 3 weeks after , it is normal .
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

Maybe the way you introduce yourself is not working? Or some labels listen but don't comment or write back because it doesn't fit.

A trick is to contact artists working for a label and get in touch with them. If they like the music, you can ask to pass it on. TBH, I'll listen to 100% of the music that artists from my label directs me to. being flooded with demos, I need filters 8)
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

i propose a new rule for all label owners.

to send a demo to a label you must first provide proof that you have purchased at least 1/5 of their backcatalogue.

The idea of sending a demo to a label whos records you haven't bought a few of their releases is nasty.

OR

and this one might be unpopular but i think its even better. To send a demo to a label you should pay a small sum (1euro minimum) to upload to their ftp or whatever to compensate for the time of the person who is going to have to listen to it. And maybe it would guarantee at least a few lines of feedback. It'll never take of but it would be a better world if it did.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

No, i've got it. Even better.

A company that sends demos for you. You pay of flat fee of 20-50 bucks a year and they try set you up with a label. Kind of like a dating site, but with a stronger stench of desperation.

They listen to the track, recommend any changes before its sent out (maybe even get it mastered for you for an extra fee) and then send it to the appropriate places and give the labels half the money or a set fee per demo. After that you get the feedback and maybe a record out. Everyones happy.

Its not romantic but its an idea. Feel free to use it.