Interesting article about the demise of underground music

Post by Atheory »

from yesterday on guardian unlimited.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicbl ... nderground
BigPoe
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by BigPoe »

Nice one, I check the grauniad every day but somehow missed this!
juhokusti
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by juhokusti »

interesting thoughts. thanks.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

yeah really nice article
thomasjaldemark
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thomasjaldemark »

i thought it said nothing actually
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

?!?

it described how the effects of the internet on our society is a contradiction to the understanding of the term "underground". with other words, the internet leaves no place free for underground to happen. Or maybe the way we use the internet leaves no place

that is what the writer intended to say, nothing more.

so i wouldnt describe this as nothing, maybe you read it with the wrong anticipation
juhokusti
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by juhokusti »

"In an odd twist, the fact that the power of the mainstream media has been challenged by all this non-professional culture and opinion also means that everything that was once marginal now seems more central."

I think he's suggesting some thoughts and discussion right there. the fragmentation of electronic music culture (just like any other subculture as a whole) is a very interesting field to study and I think it's open for a lot of interesting points to be made and discovered.

"As well as the attraction of commitment and effort, another reason to be involved in these scenes is a yearning for cultural intimacy: the desire to enter a space that is special, set apart. You could call this need to be in the know "tribal" or "elitist", depending on your own sympathies. But either way, this kind of secret knowledge is precarious, hard to maintain, precisely because of the web. It's easier than ever for people to find out about other people's business. "

undoubtedly true, but I was thinking what kind of thoughts people on this board have about this. I would suggest that being individual and standing out from the crowd as a dj is way harder now than five years ago. and I remember Jori Hulkkonen saying some years ago that being a dj and being an elitist walk hand-in-hand. don't know if it's exatcly true, but he made a point.

these were just some things I thought were interesting to read since I don't spend my days thinking about subcultures all day.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

no doubt it is true and this whole digital DJ thing makes it even easier for people to start DJing, and this threatens this individual feeling.

So this is a big reason for this Digital vs Analog Discussion, not the only one of course but a big !

And its no shame to admit that, everyone like to be special and individual and we will always be against something that threatens this individuality