Chorus And Unison on the bass.

- ask away
balente
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Chorus And Unison on the bass.

Post by balente »

I want use a chorus and unison for recreate a fluid movement on the bass. It's wrong?

Anyone use this effect on the bass o duplicate the same instrument and add chorus in teh other track.
Thanks, usually i use Thor for bass frequency.
Thanks
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

what frequency is your bass? Others will have more technical comments on this subject...

You'll have problems getting your record pressed if there is stereo in the low end. I'm not sure if there is problems with that as most things are digital now. But even then, you don't really want stereo in your low end because the signals will phase themselves out when played back on a loud speaker.

Maybe try doing your duplicate track thing but put a HPF on it to drop out all the signals below somewhere around 200hz-150hz.

Maybe its bad advice. :)
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

i dont like bass with chorus or stereo imager or anything like that.
imo bass and kick work best as mono and centered.

if you realy want to do something, maybe chorus on the mid frequencies only. but not on the low frequencies. i dont think it will work well in a club.
verdisQUO
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by verdisQUO »

What I do for thicking my bass is to run it through a phaser, just tweaking the controls so that is dosen't sound like a phased bass, but actually thickens up the sound. Then I bounce that down and turn that stereo file into a mono one, and add a bit of distortion and filtering to taste. Just remember, if you are using chorusing or unision, just bounce it back down to mono. If it's a layer for your bass, and you already have a sub (like a sine wave @ 35-60 hz or a lp square wave), then just hp the layer to where it blends in with your sub. But just keep it mono, especially if that tune is going to be played in a club (by you or someone else), since the majority of club systems are in mono.
Roqqert
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Roqqert »

it doesnt really matter what youre doing in the bass, cause bass doesn't move your stereo image like panorama on mid and high. The effect is coul.. it creates a new sound, but like already told. You'll get problems @ pressing the record. I don't even know why you should but a chorus on a bassline it just loses energy
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Roqqert wrote:I don't even know why you should but a chorus on a bassline it just loses energy
in headphones it doesn't necessarily lose energy... it will give a different appearance.

if you had a sub woofer though... you would likely notice a problem.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Roqqert
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Roqqert »

this music isnt ment for headphone listeners only
verdisQUO
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by verdisQUO »

hydrogen wrote:
Roqqert wrote:I don't even know why you should but a chorus on a bassline it just loses energy
in headphones it doesn't necessarily lose energy... it will give a different appearance.

if you had a sub woofer though... you would likely notice a problem.
But if you layer that processed bass with a nice sub, then there won't be problems :D