Minimal scene - locally

- open
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Minimal scene - locally

Post by pheek »

I've been interested in getting a view of the worlwide minimal scene but I don't think I'll ever have the time and cash to go everywhere to know how it is. I would be great if everyone could talk and describe how is their scene in their hometown. Be frank, relate good and bad points. Who's the heros, what are the clubs, trends... etc. Any info is fun to know :)

Here's ...

Montreal
-----------------------------------------
As far as I can remember, I think the first few minimal events I've seen in Montreal started in 1996. I hear a few people spinning some Plastikman and Richie's Concept in a few lounges (Yoda Den). I could go before that and talk about The Orb in 93 or Mad Professor way before but I'm not sure it relates. I think the first time I hear some Basic Channel was in a chill out of a rave...

But I think things got serious in 1998 when Richie Hawtin played as Plastikman, with tons of gimmicks, gear and turntables. That special night, part of an event named Medialounge (pre-Mutek), had everyone I know who produce minimal now and we all went insane! After that, in mid 1999, we had Pole, Porter Ricks, G-man (that I booked) and Neotropic.

Mutek started in 2000 to become what we know. I think it is the main element of the minimal scene throughout the year. Out of Mutek events don't do that good and a lot of people think Montreal has an amazing scene, but it's not that true. There's some sparsed events but only a few people attend.

Other events we saw minimal music happen (in the last 5 years): Elektra, MEG (among with plenty of ecclectic PA), Label Risquée events, Oral events, random events at SAT... I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.

Bars and venues where we can listen to minimal:
- Laika
- Billy Kun
- Casa Del Popollo: mainly more experimental events and post-rock.
- Les Folies

Usual DJs:
- Vincent Lemieux: probably the busiest minimal DJ.
- Deadbeat
- Mossa
- The Mole
- Ernesto

There's parallel scenes, I'm sure some people can complete my report. It's kinda isolated, which is sad but sometimes our scene have crosspoints.

Who's next?
Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

There is absolutely none where I live...and in Toronto, it doesn't seem like it's a *huge* thing per se but I guess it exists in small pockets. Toronto is more of a progressive city with artists like Greg Gow, Luke Fair, et al...
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

i think ganik and little_g know a bit more about events in their part of the region, so i-ll tell a few lines about mine (istria)

as far as i remember the scene started around mid 90-s and there were a couple of like minded people who held private parties in the nearby fortress called fort bourguignon. http://www.gms-reisen.ch/images/Heft%20 ... ueste1.jpg
main people who brought house and trance music to us are gogo, zoki bravo, bebetto, marc grabber (responsible for valkana beach festival) etc...
umm, the electronic scene is seriously narrow minded here because dj-s and promotors only push house and trance music, so the clubbers only know of those genres which makes other styles really hard to push thru.
in the last two years that type of music became really IN and alot of people started to attend raves, even if the rock fans didn-t have a place to go they would hit the clubs like oasis, next, FB, tangenta and so on.
heh, the fun part starts with the rock fans because the leading people of pula are all rockers and during the peak time of rave movement they did everything in their power to shut the parties down and go freely with their own festivals which were a lot more hazardous than a bunch of ravers.
so, step by step they managed to pull their evil plan and almost every party was interrupted by the police race...

pula once was the leading capitol of partying, just because of valkana beach festival and fort bourguignon which is still living off his fame.

so, today we have mainly underground parties which is for close friends at spots like marlera beach, portich beach and such.

portich (annual summer closing party)
http://www.pozega-online.com/phphoto_al ... 108&num=36

marlera beach (annual summer opening party...illegal fkors!)
http://www.pozega-online.com/phphoto_al ... 108&num=35

i forgot to add that all of those parties are done from friends to friends and minimal doesn-t exist here. sigh.
Last edited by plaster on Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
Marcus Stork
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Marcus Stork »

There has never been any real minimal scene here in Stockholm.
But for the last 1-2 years some more minimal sounds has come along with the Tech House at the best dance club in town called Grodan Coctail Club.
Guys like Steve Bug, Fabrice Lig etc. has been spinning there. And also some of our big names like Joel Mull and Adam Beyer has started to play minimal mixed up with Tech House at this place.
roebin de freitas
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by roebin de freitas »

Belgium:
the whole "scene" is scattered around a bit but is really growing at the moment... mnml has been used in many parties mixed with other types of house, electro, techno but is only becoming a "genre" over here since a year or 2. Huge concepts like I love Techno, 10 days off and now also Kozzmozz have had a mnml room so far.
some names of concepts and venues:

* Brussels: statik dancing@recyclart was kind of the first to soully bring minimal, but purely the typical german kompakt sound. Nowadays, dj Pierre, resident of the famous fuse club, has his own concept called P3P@boaz and plays lot's of mnml at the fuse club as well.

*Ghent: Minor moves is a year old now, being held at the decadance and takes everything more from the US/Can sound... more jacking, click/glitch type of stuff.

*Liège: the Toys for Boys label have started their own concept in the extension of their label. (stil need to check that one out myself)

*Otherwise the concepts are either small, scattered or just starting so I'd have to get back on those in a year or so. A few are: Intenze in Aalst, Plus/Minus in St.-Niklaas, some parties at the Kaaiman in Antwerp (don't know if they still exist).

Disclaimer: This isn't a definitive list :p
fader
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fader »

it sums it up quite good kemi :)
The Remix
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by The Remix »

Philly-- small but still popular scene here-- I mean the foundsound crew are here-- we do get some great talents to come by and play for us-- I really don't get out enough lately to say so or not though now.

http://www.foundsound.com
theremixphilly@yahoo.com

I live in the House- & Micro-House lives in me.
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

Chicago gets hoards of good intl minimal music, but unless your dck Hawtin, Magda or playing in a suber-uber glam club, its hard to get a pull.

Usual minimal artists here:

Mike Brankis
John Patterson
Redize
AutoAxon
Meiotic Soundsystem djs
Atomly
Billy Dalessandro (if youd even consider him minimal)
Brian Ffar & Dan Mnookin
Myself (popkan)

quite a few others but id say that Im one of the more internationally known artists from the chicago minimal scene.