detroit

- open
chrisdisco
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

detroit

Post by chrisdisco »

for those interested, we're having a discussion about detroit: origins, myths and the music over at mnml ssgs. it is split into 3 parts, with the 3rd being a reply from pipecock over at infinitestatemachine.

part 1
part 2
part 3
kristofason
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by kristofason »

I have FULL respect for Detroit's massive influence on Techno but i don't see why we have to refer to it all the time,its been global for a long time now plus its supposed to be cutting edge music,why do we have to always refer to its origins?
Sneaky
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Sneaky »

visit detroit... then speak your mind
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

Sneaky wrote:visit detroit... then speak your mind
:arrow: :idea:

detroit is a sacred/mystical city that doesn't want to be apart of the hype.. - it pushes people underground for many reasons..

that is what so many will never understand..
chrisdisco
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by chrisdisco »

john clees wrote:
Sneaky wrote:visit detroit... then speak your mind
:arrow: :idea:

detroit is a sacred/mystical city that doesn't want to be apart of the hype.. - it pushes people underground for many reasons..

that is what so many will never understand..
well a lot of what we are talking about is not detroit per se, but the myth that surrounds it and the claim that it is the 'origin' or 'birthplace' of techno. so i don't think you necessarily need to have visited detroit to comment on these.
saying that, it looks like there is now going to be a 4th part to this discussion, written by someone from the submerge crew, so that should add another perspective.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

for sure - I was just saying in a general sense.. I typed that (prior) to finishing your discussion.. (book)...:) hehe -

I didn't mean anything by that but saying their is a lot of truth in what I quoted & what Sneaky posted..

I wasn't able to finish reading the entire thing just yet..
chrisdisco
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by chrisdisco »

john clees wrote:for sure - I was just saying in a general sense.. I typed that (prior) to finishing your discussion.. (book)...:) hehe -

I didn't mean anything by that but saying their is a lot of truth in what I quoted & what Sneaky posted..

I wasn't able to finish reading the entire thing just yet..
dont worry, i wasn't getting defensive. you are both right - to get a full understanding of the music that has emerged from detroit, i think you do need a strong sense of detroit as a city. and well, the easiest way to get that is to visit the place...

and yes, it is long. that is why we split it into 3 parts. originally it was going to be one post, but well, that was going to kill many readers...
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

even on a visit - even staying..

it's very hard to get perspective on the energy it carries..

many swoop and leave - protesting her.. but never fully understanding..

p.s.
But here, so the counter-narrative would have it, was ‘high tech soul’, made by real, oppressed black people (dreaming of space from a post-industrial ghetto)
that's a pretty bold statement.. :!: