How do I get this specific sound? (mp3 included)

- ask away
cycopath
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

How do I get this specific sound? (mp3 included)

Post by cycopath »

I am an ableton user and I just found a song with a bassline sound that I know is used in a lot of electro/minimal, I would very much like to be able to use it myself!

The song is Konrad Black's remix of 'Honeymoon's over' by Snax. Its track 4 on the recent Ewan Pearson Fabric Compilation (July), I have also uploaded a 15 sec clip so you can hear it:

http://www.2shared.com/file/2142412/d8b ... black.html

Its the bit in this clip that goes sort of 'd-din...don...don...don' (I tried). It sounds 'stringy' to me.

I hoping this is an effect that some of you will recognise and know how to easily replicate it. A VST/AU plugin? an Ableton preset? I've heard it used in fabric a lot...

Any help or point in the right in the direction would be much appreciated!
mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mlexicon »

sounds like a melody made with two different scales... blues and something else

and try a sine wave pitch down with little release and maybe like 3 different effects...cant tell u which exactly, but that would do it....maybe a springy reverb
signatures suck
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

you mean the sharp sound that appears on 3rd and 10th second. sounding like tatatat?
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
cycopath
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by cycopath »

No, 'fraid I'm talking about the bassline(?) that is looped through the whole extract. It sounds (to me) like a sort of cool electronic string sound with a bit of a pluck to each note.

Thanks for the suggestions mlexicon, I've been using your advice but just still can't get anywhere near the sound.

Keep it coming!

(thank you)
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

cycopath wrote:No, 'fraid I'm talking about the bassline(?) that is looped through the whole extract. It sounds (to me) like a sort of cool electronic string sound with a bit of a pluck to each note.

Thanks for the suggestions mlexicon, I've been using your advice but just still can't get anywhere near the sound.

Keep it coming!

(thank you)

do you know string instruments sound at all? there's only one string instrument used in the loop and it's appearing at the first 7 seconds mark. the bassline ur talking is pretty easy to program, just three notes. don't see what's the major deal about it.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
cycopath
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by cycopath »

fair enough....

You're right, its not strings. More of a bass guitar or chello thats being plucked with an effect on it maybe? Programming the melody isn't the problem its the sound it has, sort of a fuzz and resonance. sh!t I dunno. If theres an ableton preset or something that you have/know of that you reckon sounds anything like this let me know.

Christian

christian.clough (at) gmail.com
mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mlexicon »

if u use reason i can show u
signatures suck
cycopath
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by cycopath »

yup, got reason, don't know it that well but i'm sure I can figure it out... run me through it!