mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Cotumo »

Get yourself a 2.5" drive!
Phreak
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Phreak »

I bought myself a Lacie Porshe just for mp3 backup & some junk .. verry happy with Lacie actually!

FireWire is also going pretty fast!
maks
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by maks »

theclockstrucktwelve
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by theclockstrucktwelve »

There is no such thing, really..

one important item to point out is that most drives aren't universally powered for when you cross over into north america or europe. is there firewire powered drives yet or do they all draw power from an external power source?

just check it out, is all i'm saying. I have an external drive that I bought and it's useless to me outside north america. Those things are not like your laptop, they don't switch over automatically - they have their own shitty power supply built in.

"...Michaelangelo is a PARTY DUDE.. *PAARTEEEEEEE!* "
theclockstrucktwelve
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

stringfello wrote:Actually you need to read the specs of USB 2.0 and Firewire. It is better to have your projects or live performance audio come from an external Firewire drive. USB 2.0 not so sure. Firewire was invented by Apple for a reason. So I think they did?

The reason why, is Firewire runs off a different bus architecture than your internal hard drive. If you use he internal you will use more processing power. It is best to have the internal run the operating system and programs but all of the audio come from the external.

If I am wrong then we all need to research so that we can all be right instead of speculating what our opinions are.

Of course then I would be a hypocrite

USB 2 is technically faster in some ways. You can read about lots of testing done on the web. USB isn't simultaneous 2-way communication though whereas firewire as. Hence firewire becomes more versatile and well, faster in many applications. You will also see that one or the other uses more CPU power. I cannot remember which. I don't reccomend USB 2.0 for live audio. Hell, I don't reccomend external anything for live audio - it's a terrible idea. Instead, use it as storage or a dumping ground for things that you need to not throw away but need to clear off your drive to make space, but don't try and run things live off it.

highmel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by highmel »

I´ll soon get this:
http://www.planet4one.de/planet/wbc.php ... etail.html

combined with this e SATA - HDD, for maximaum transferrates (same as internal):

http://cgi.ebay.de/320-GB-Seagate-16MB- ... dZViewItem

SATA is 10x faster that USB 2.0 - it makes ur LAPTOP think, it is an internal HDD, so u wont have any troubles..

Maybe u have a lot of USB ports used (MiDI Controler, Mouse, Soundcard, ... ) so it will be the best solution, not going USB alsofor the HDD, cause it can Cause crashing problems.....

So i recommend eSATA...
Can recomment this Pokersite/-school:
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

The reason your external drive will be faster than the internal is because most laptop internals are 5400rpm... I think this is to save battery life... you can get a faster external running at 7200rpm.

Regardless, if you want good drive performance make sure you defrag often.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
theclockstrucktwelve
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

anyone know of externals that are self powered from the firewire that don't need access to a power receptical as well?