GEAR - for a newbie on a budget

- ask away
Renze
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Renze »

Ableton Live + some VA Synth should be cool as well. Try to find one on the 2nd hand market. Lots of things to choose from: microKorg/MS2000, Access Virus series, Nord Lead etc...
gan_on
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by gan_on »

Ableton Live before reason or FLstudio...any day, reason is a good program if you're not serious but if you really want to make music you should go with a professional prog like Live or cubase + a bunch of softsynths and samplers.

and hey, here's an idea...what about using 1210's for dj'ing? support the scene instead of taking it down. without vinyl the underground scene will die, and we will die with it.
From Shadow Moses?"
theclockstrucktwelve
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by theclockstrucktwelve »

gan_on wrote: reason is a good program if you're not serious but if you really want to make music you should go with a professional prog like Live or cubase + a bunch of softsynths and samplers.
Hahahahahahahaha.

Bite your toungue. It's one thing to say what you said about reason, but to suggest Live in the same breath as an alternative?

Reason is *GREAT* for a lot of reasons and it's people who don't know it enough that tend to say things like this. For someone who is on a budget especially, it's a great choice. It's a versatile software package that allows very fast development of artistic ideas and allows you to get gritty and make the sounds YOU want and put them together the way you want very rapidly.

Live is a great tool for performing. I actually heard lots of bad things about using Reason in a live environment/on stage since version 3 is a lot more unstable or something. But live isn't a standalone production tool and doesn't sound the best in some facets. Even if you use live, you still need something to make your actual music/beats with unless you plan on just stealing/buying loops other people made :)

I'd say start with reason, live for playing live. Once you're familiar with reason a bit, use something like cubase to help you lay things out and do your post-processing/track cleanup work.

"...Michaelangelo is a PARTY DUDE.. *PAARTEEEEEEE!* "
skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by skept »

theclockstrucktwelve wrote:But live isn't a standalone production tool
why isn't it? i have produced several tracks using live. many others have as well.
theclockstrucktwelve wrote:Even if you use live, you still need something to make your actual music/beats with unless you plan on just stealing/buying loops other people made :)
this is not true at all. live comes with a number a different kits for it's drum machine, the operator synth and loads of effects. whether you think they are acceptable or not is one thing but that is definitely enough to make beats despite what you said above.
skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by skept »

gan_on wrote:reason is a good program if you're not serious
this statement is a little ridiculous. maybe reason is not the best tool for you but it works great for a lot of people, which is all that matters.

can you honestly say that not one professional musician uses reason? i doubt that you can but i don't actually know.
skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by skept »

who the fck cares about stupid tool arguments? it is so tired. to each his/her own. i understand stating why you prefer a certain tool but to say that a another tool is useless is absurd.
gan_on
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by gan_on »

skept wrote:
gan_on wrote:reason is a good program if you're not serious
this statement is a little ridiculous. maybe reason is not the best tool for you but it works great for a lot of people, which is all that matters.

can you honestly say that not one professional musician uses reason? i doubt that you can but i don't actually know.
aight...i'll comment this one...

of course reason is a good program for producing music, no doubt...i used it before i switched over to Live...what i meant was that reason has a terrible sound engine, its not very versatile when it comes to syntherzises and what you can do with the built in ones...since you cant use VST's this limits the program a lot. i do miss the advanced sampler in reason tho...

Live is an amazing piece of software, it's fast to work with, sounds perfect, has innovative features...etc. the Live6 update has now arrived to challenge Cubase for real...

my main reason for claiming that "Reason" isnt a serious music production tool was based on the limitations that program alone has, and of course the sound engine...as a starter reason works just fine...that's just my opinion
From Shadow Moses?"
theclockstrucktwelve
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by theclockstrucktwelve »

gan_on wrote:what i meant was that reason has a terrible sound engine, its not very versatile when it comes to syntherzises and what you can do with the built in ones...since you cant use VST's this limits the program a lot.
gan_on wrote:my main reason for claiming that "Reason" isnt a serious music production tool was based on the limitations that program alone has, and of course the sound engine...as a starter reason works just fine...that's just my opinion
Well, I really mean no offense here but it's obvious that you don't know enough about it if you are saying these things. And/or that you've not enough experience and aquired knowledge on these matters.

There's probably 20 people on this board alone who could prove these statements false, let alone the hundreds of professionals that use reason as a primary tool in the studio.

"...Michaelangelo is a PARTY DUDE.. *PAARTEEEEEEE!* "