[Perlon 102] Portable - Sportable

- wax
Vipp
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: [Perlon 102] Portable - Sportable

Post by Vipp »

They probably work out nicely in his live sets, but I cant see myself playing this one. Maybe theyre releasing a bit too fast.
dirddey_iddler
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dirddey_iddler »

Zip and Markus do what they like. They did it always and they will do it as long as Perlon and their music or their art exists. You guys should know that.

To be part of Perlon is a great honour, a big dream (that hardly or never come true) and a never ending challenge for the most underground sound producers (for those who play Perlon, and Zip IDs). But for Zip all these expectations are just a sign that tracks from those producers are only a try to imitate the perlon sound and not be something new or different.
Perlon and the Music find together each other when the time is right. Not only the music perlon or vice versa at any time. Thats why the early Perlon Artists are closer friends to each other, like a family. With newer talents, Zip must be sure that the spirit of them fits to the rest of the Perlon crew, that is an important criteria for him i think.

In an interview Zip stated when a person will give him a cd with tracks, it can be very cool stuff but it will never find the way to Perlons way of music, because of that i explained. He won`t be arrogant or say something bad about the producers music!! But for him and the music is just an imitate.

Only one release broke that rules: Kalabrese - Chicken Fried Rice. Kalabrese gave that tracks to Zip and he said to him, i have something for you that you will like. The rest is well known.

Of course i was also disappointed when i heard some newer Perlons. In the end (after few months) i must they all of them make sense. Keep in mind that the first Perlon was released in 96/97!!!! 18years of music!!!! 18years of being miles ahead in the future with their own sound! Show me a label which did it in the same way.

I associate Perlon with one rule, that there are no rules. Just the feeling of music. Thats it. When something needs to be released, then it will be released. Like i said, doing what they want and take up the complete responsibility for such a decision!!! Costs, etc.

Refer to Mosaic or Studio 1, they tried to be like that early dub techno stuff (Maurizio, Basic Channel). They are not bad, but the they tried to be something.

Perlon records like Toyl, Windowshopping, Chicken Store, Plead Guilty etc. are outstanding (show me comparable records) and working perfectly with the newer perlon releases

Before you say, they releasing sh!t (of course its your standing), think about yourself and think about what they did. Without Zip and the rest you won`t have that sound that you all like.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

Basic channel & Studio 1 for example, were ahead of its time, and were more projects that lasted for few years vs a label that continues to put music out, as you've mentioned for over 18 years. Apples/Oranges.

I think perlon may have been putting out pop-ish type of music before anyone for that matter. As someone mentioned as well, minimal is at a stand still. I think for many, even the labels that used to pump out extraordinary releases, are now filled with a catalog full of mediocre corny digital releases. Everything comes in waves. Sometime ago I think many labels all at once worried more about being consistent verse being relevant and everyone followed. Perhaps seeing perlon "appear" to follow that trend, and for a fear that the label they hold so dear to their heart, may potentially follow that path is completely discouraging, and just as well may be done like the rest..

That being said, i think peoples souls crave that timeless, legendary, ill sh!t, and seeing perlon release another pop sounding release, as people wait and wait for the magical sound that captivated their heart is disheartening. With more time that passes, and with every release continues to not be what so many crave... and people continue to hold them responsible to give them "that fix" that they crave. being excited to see a release, but disappointed when they hear the sound. its true they may not release anything of that frequency as they've done in the past ever again. as someone said "time to move on"..perhaps it is time for someone to pick up where they left off.

I think its just an outcry of lost faith for the sound from a label that used to be sacred to us all. Ricardo continues to have more independent project releases and may not need perlon as a platform as he once used to.

Only time will tell. Labels change, evolve, go under, and then resurface. As mentioned as time passes its easier to see how the release fits the direction the label is going at that moment in time. The best part about perlon is it can change in a moments notice.

Being a producer for many years myself, I can say people naturally are a product of their environment. they can only reflect the energy they feel that the universe is giving to them at that moment. So trying to recapture something is a difficult task at hand just because we live in the new time in the present moment. 2005-2006 to me were amazing years for music. I felt a strong sense of love, unity, family, and community..and inevitably for me the music being released also reflected that same vibration.

Cold, distant, over use of technology, and missing passion is what i can feel from the past several years so its no surprise the music to me has also refected such imitation..
dirddey_iddler
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dirddey_iddler »

Well i didn`t compared mosaic and studio 1 with their output. its a well known secret that wolfgang voigt used BC and Maurizio as his main influences, same as Steve o`Sullivan. To say Apples and Oranges might be correct, but not in conjunction with their influences.

Perlon isn`t Minimal. Zip never said Perlon is a specific Label for that kind of music. He said Perlon is for that, for what they like!!

Look at Pile PerliPop, San Propers or even Nikolais releases. Some records have a Pop vibe some have a more reduced vibe. As i wrote, there are no rules, just do what feels good.

Ricardo never asked to be a Perlon Artist. Only Zip (together with Markus) decided to release Ricardos stuff. The music got play

Refer to Hombre Ojo or the Parties they played together in Chile. It was and is a friendship thing.

That crave thing, Zip don´t want to do what someone is expecting from him. He wants his freedom for himself, without pressure
to be someone.
LSTL
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by LSTL »

Well i would go against the mass, i quite like this one and i think you should consider what is Portable style. As dirddey said, maybe is a bit "poor" to consider Perlon as just as a/the best minimal label.

Anyway would add THIS interview + video about the release.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

dirddey_iddler wrote:Well i didn`t compared mosaic and studio 1 with their output. its a well known secret that wolfgang voigt used BC and Maurizio as his main influences, same as Steve o`Sullivan. To say Apples and Oranges might be correct, but not in conjunction with their influence.
?

I was referring to the intent. we are saying the same thing but in a different way. One was supposed to be minimal. as you've mentioned Pelon isn't supposed to be one thing and has also put out releases for 18 years and going. These are totally separate intentions. As with any label you must do things thay mean something to you. I personally adore the more minimal sound output from the label, which is the only releases that ive bought.

Well of course it would be friendship thing its your own music that you're allowing someone to put out. Thats typically how it goes more often than not.

personally I'm more influenced by the basic channel and studio one releases that happened in a few years than 18 years of perlon releases. Ive only bought 5-6 records out of that many releases is not a lot, and havent bought a release in years.
dirddey_iddler
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dirddey_iddler »

Haha. Sorry i was lost. Typical Lunch Problem :P

I agree with you in every point.

Taste and influences are personal trademarks.
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

I can understand the complaints but this record sounds like portable releasing on perlon. What did you expect? Im not getting this one but the first track sound absolutely fine.