ItchyClips // building blocks of music

- ask away
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Thanks for the explanation Stewart. I think this is pretty cool!
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Spurn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Spurn »

yeah i think the idea behind it is great but i feel like for every 1 person that uses it to learn more about production or try to push their skills there will be 50 more who just use the pieces in a copy-cat manner.
stewartwalker
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

if I can go on about it... part 2

Post by stewartwalker »

One of the early criticisms I received of our idea is that samples by themselves are boring. I think Itchyclips halfway overcame that limitation in the beginning by presenting sounds which are already sequenced so that musicians who buy our Scratchpacks can riff on the sequences other artists are providing. I don't know if you've ever scrolled through 1000 kickdrums, or house organs on a sample cd?

"Taking it to the next level" is going to require the creation of audio effect, macro and control environments.

Ableton provides amazing options for nested effects processing and control, but they get complicated really quickly. To that end, we're going to debut some free effect-oriented Scratchpack environments next week, which I've dubbed the "Not Content" series. They won't include any original sounds, but only pathways for effects chains and some dummy clips which can trigger effect automation.

It's going to be amazing to copy the sounds from one session arrangement and paste them into a new Scratchpack with completely different effects, pre-mapped to Macro knobs which will tweak the sounds into new shapes.
manzatour
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by manzatour »

still not convinced. this idea would be fine in a perfect world. but i'm pretty sure it will be used as an highway to lazyness.
the same, like for djing, will happen: no more skills required
kirkwoodwest
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kirkwoodwest »

manzatour wrote:still not convinced. this idea would be fine in a perfect world. but i'm pretty sure it will be used as an highway to lazyness.
the same, like for djing, will happen: no more skills required
what skills? I think we can all say there is more to djing than matching beats and moving faders. Regardless, all of which can be learned in a couple weeks for a trained musician. Same goes for computer software.

And laziness? describe please. I don't see anything about lazy if your combining a bunch of files to make a live set vs pulling together records for your crate. which one is easier? selecting one song? or combining and arranging a bunch of loops to build up many?

I hope we see more people using this stuff and personally I'm truly excited to hear some of the persona sound in other "live sets".
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

I can see the plus side to this, but I just think if I give someone my MIDI template plus all the sounds, they are just going to change it then release it themselves. You only have to listen to music at the moment to understand that producers are lazy. There are so many loops being music at the moment it’s a joke. I do believe that people can learn from other peoples projects, but I don’t trust people enough to upload my projects for the entire world to see.
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

::BLM:: wrote: I do believe that people can learn from other peoples projects, but I don’t trust people enough to upload my projects for the entire world to see.
This basically...
Would be interesting to setup something for a small community though. I'd be very interested to see how some other people build their music. You (BLM) being one of them.
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Opuswerk wrote:
::BLM:: wrote: I do believe that people can learn from other peoples projects, but I don’t trust people enough to upload my projects for the entire world to see.
This basically...
Would be interesting to setup something for a small community though. I'd be very interested to see how some other people build their music. You (BLM) being one of them.
Admit it, you just want to rip him off Image