What gives the housey feeling?

- ask away
ewinz
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ewinz »

Im agree with torque for the vision of the straight techno.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

I do to a degree although I'm not sure what he means by mechanical beats. Techno has some stuff with really groove/shuffled drums, I take mechanical as being dead stiff quantizing, rigid and to-the-grid.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AK wrote:I do to a degree although I'm not sure what he means by mechanical beats. Techno has some stuff with really groove/shuffled drums, I take mechanical as being dead stiff quantizing, rigid and to-the-grid.
techno means so many different things to different people, everything from Basic Channel up to Gabba.

there is no definitive techno.

there's every shade of techno that you can think of.

personally i can't listen to techno that doesnt have a real groove, and that i can't dance to. mechanical beats is something you'd expect in a dark warehouse in Rotterdam maybe, but the majority of techno is groovy.

in the summer i was dancing to Juan Atkins one of the originators of the Detroit sound, and it was about as funky as you can get. his set was shuffled from start to finish.
ewinz
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ewinz »

In my opinion, producing house give more possibilities (you can put everything on it, jazz, guitar, vocals, african perc,... In techno like dub techno its more restructed... OOh I'll launch a debate
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

ewinz wrote:In my opinion, producing house give more possibilities (you can put everything on it, jazz, guitar, vocals, african perc,... In techno like dub techno its more restructed... OOh I'll launch a debate
haha yes a debate.

i know what youre saying but it's only true if you think of techno in a generic way. for example dub techno = basic channel etc, hard techno = jeff mills etc.
come on you can make jazz influenced techno which is a lot more true to jazz theory than just slapping a sampled saxophone on a house tune, and tribal techno with electronic african rhythms which goes way deeper than a house tune with a sampled bongo loop.
if you want to put guitar on house, it starts becoming something else anyway.
techno in one way has many more possibilities because you can push the envelope and try things which are not ordinary. you dont have to fall back on the obvious all the time.
anything which is experimental has infinite possibilites as far as i'm concerned, whereas house is very structured and generic in many ways.

this is all a bit pointless really, i dont know why i let myself get sucked in.
:D