windows 7 or xp

- ask away
monophunk
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

windows 7 or xp

Post by monophunk »

i just bought a new laptop, samsung 530, intel dual-core 2.1hz, 4gb, windows 7 32 bit, i also have windows xp, so my question is, what do you think is better for producing 7 or xp?

im working with ableton 8.1, fl 9.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

I haven't checked Ableton to see if it supports win7, but from what I hear from people on Win7 is that it's rock-solid!
Ronny Pries
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Ronny Pries »

7, but go for the 64bit version cause your 32bit OS can't adress the full 4gb ram.
Always think twice.
monophunk
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by monophunk »

yes ableton supprts windows 7 since 8.0.8, i installed yesterday and it works good till now....i dont know so much people on 7 (most of them are with mac or xp) so i dont know about any problems or crashes on 7 with other plugins or applications
monophunk
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by monophunk »

as far as i know ableton is a 32bit application...there still working on a 64-bit version.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Rock solid on my system, Win 7, quadcore pc, 4 gig ram. All my older stuff that I ran on XP ( which was my previous OS ) runs great too, no problems at all. 32 bit programs/plugins go into a program files called x86 but the compatibility is fine.

The ONLY thing I have had issues with are the drivers for an MAudio 24/96 card, they have yet to create a win7 driver and I am having to use a Vista 64bit one which doesn't allow the machine to turn off - I have to manually press the button.
Minimal Samples
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Minimal Samples »

If you have 4gb of ram user the 64gb version of Windows 7 as it can use all the memory instead of 3.5gb.

Personally I like windows 7 a lot but I find I have to make the icons smaller as they are much bigger than the default size in XP.
http://minimalsamples.com - Submit 20 original minimal loops & samples and get the entire archive for free.

Techno & Minimal Techno News Blog
dubgil
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil »

monophunk wrote:yes ableton supprts windows 7 since 8.0.8, i installed yesterday and it works good till now....i dont know so much people on 7 (most of them are with mac or xp) so i dont know about any problems or crashes on 7 with other plugins or applications
The only thing I'm having trouble with and it's a problem with my lappie is Win7 Aero is disabled when i launch Live 8 and the color scheme hogs my window sizing of Live, sometimes I lose the toolbar at the top as if I hit F11 in Live, but I have not done so.

Anyone have any tips?

It's not too bad, i know plenty of keyboard shortcuts without it, but... still a drag