Analog-ising

- ask away
Cheaper
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Cheaper »

Convolution engines with Reel2reel or amps impulses for the win 8)
soundcloud.com/capsularecordings
zongo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by zongo »

oblioblioblio wrote:i've given up with finding plugins that do analogue stuff.

it's possible to find code that can approximate the sonic characterisics of a phyisical peice of technology like a transistor, or a vacuum tube or a tape, but it will never have the same vibe.

And besides I think it's total waste of digital technology to use it like this. (th0o not saying that digital musical technology has nothing to learn from analogue equipment).

But sure, do whatever works for you. If you get sounds that you like from plugins that approximate analogue technology then who am i to say that you can't.
Oblioblioblio you really should give a try at Wavearts' Tube : http://wavearts.com/products/plugins/tube/

It is quite impressive, but it's also an extreme CPU sucker. This is the 1st time I'm satisfied with that kind of saturation simulation. Download the demo and trust me, you won't regret it - well if you're on Windows hehe.
datalus
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by datalus »

zongo wrote:

it's possible to find code that can approximate the sonic characterisics of a phyisical peice of technology like a transistor, or a vacuum tube or a tape, but it will never have the same vibe.

And besides I think it's total waste of digital technology to use it like this. (th0o not saying that digital musical technology has nothing to learn from analogue equipment).

But sure, do whatever works for you. If you get sounds that you like from plugins that approximate analogue technology then who am i to say that you can't.
Oblioblioblio you really should give a try at Wavearts' Tube : http://wavearts.com/products/plugins/tube/

It is quite impressive, but it's also an extreme CPU sucker. This is the 1st time I'm satisfied with that kind of saturation simulation. Download the demo and trust me, you won't regret it - well if you're on Windows hehe.
wow that's really good, there's even a mac plug, but its a CPU hog for sure.
G3rard
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by G3rard »

zongo wrote:

Ive just discovered this aswell and agree it sounds very nice, it really isnt fake sounding like a lot of saturation plug-ins . The CPU goes through the roof though. I couldnt believe how hungry it was when I dropped it into a channel!! A great plug-in.
zongo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by zongo »

I can only open one instance of this plug at once on my computer, so right now I'm only using it post-bounce and before my home-made masters. Sometimes I apply it on a single channel renders or a group of premixed channels render... It takes some times to use it in those conditions though :)
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

zongo wrote:
Or try the Electro Harmonix LPB 2UBE. It's only a little more and use real tubes in stereo or dual mono.

I have heard some good things about the wavearts tube plug(and the cpu hog features). Also, the SPL tube emulator is highly regarded. Personally, I LOVE the SPL attacker. Great example of tool I'd rather use as software. I may grab their transient designer at some point. I like a balance in the studio to be honest, but analog synths own software synths. There's no debate in my mind. I've done the comparisons.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

yep I'm going down the real tubes route. metasonix r51 . you should see the Russian miltary radio they used the tubes from. :shock: (Collins R-392 ). For not that much extra than a very high quality emulation I can get the actual phyiscal effect of putting sound thru a vacuum tube.

for digital distortions I'm gonna fiddle with parameters in Reaktor or max msp, even if it means banging my head against a brick wall for a while.

thanks for the recommendation though mister zongo.
STML
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by STML »

I picked up one of these for my bass guitar pedal board, but have since pretty much used it in the studio with synths. It's awesome. Unlike a lot of modern tube gear, which just put a tube in the input or output to get a little grit, here the tube is the compression circuit. Very different response and character to most other stuff. Highly recommend.