villalobos about ableton

- ask away
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Daemonix wrote:but if they have different sound it will not clean each other... no?!
That's what I was thinking too, would be nice to see someone actually do this.
I'm not sure I can put on a record and tell if it's made in Logic, Ableton, Cubase, Reason etc etc etc.. (and I'm quite sure many people who say they can, actually can't)
dyte
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dyte »

the mind and ears are wonderful things, and can trick you into believing something that isn't there.

i'm not certain anybody could tell the difference between a straight render from any daw using the same vsti.

however i guess if you're aware how the built in effects and instruments sound you'd notice when they're used, similar to when you notice the sound of hardware instrument and effect being used in a track
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

yeah, i never know what to make of all of this, its hard to believe when there is only anecdotal evidence.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

all these null tests will not prove anything because people don't try to make two tracks cancel each other out in real life. if you line up everything by numbers and hit bounce the two DAWs will sound exactly the same.
jobbanaught
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jobbanaught »

Please, not this sh!t again...

Despite all the rumors, there have been a lot of experiments that showed that Logic, Cubase, Live etc... all sound exactly the same, as long as we are talking about digital summing, which is the main contribution of the DAW. The FX are obviously different, but tbh i just dont get what Villalobos meant there. I mean Ive heard a lot of tracks and recognized the Beat Repeat FX or the Filter Delay from Live, but i seriously doubt that anyone can recognize a track by the sound of the DAW. You may be able to tell by the way the track is programmed or which synths are used, but thats a byproduct of the setup and the workflow of the DAW, not the sound engine.
SHAP
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by SHAP »

patrick bateman wrote: (and I'm quite sure many people who say they can, actually can't)
I was just thinking the same thing.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

SHAP wrote:
patrick bateman wrote: (and I'm quite sure many people who say they can, actually can't)
I was just thinking the same thing.
Of course I agree that you might be able to hear the ping-pong delay, the beat repeat and so on from Live, as much as some others can hear certain default plug-ins that Logic uses and so on, but the actual sound of the DAW?
Storlon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Storlon »

I'm more worried about stability than sound quality with ableton live... Lots of tests have been done at abl forums and from ableeton devs, if you dont warp it (use the pitch algorythm) and dont put any fx on it and you do the phase test the result is zero, same sound as in logic or cubase. It's no magic it's math, there is no analaog stuff in there, just numbers... Learn to use it correctly.