What are you currently reading?

- open
uritotti
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by uritotti »

be~~ wrote:
uritotti wrote: Albert Camus - Reflections on the Guillotine
I read 'the stranger' by Camus last year, a great piece of bleak existentialist writing. I tried to read Sartre but the guy just talks in circles and never seems to get to the point.
In an interview in 1945, Camus rejected any ideological associations: "No, I am not an existentialist. Sartre and I are always surprised to see our names linked..."

-----

Me, I have read almost everything that Camus & Sartre wrote and I really love them both.
rationalism
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by rationalism »

Carl Smart wrote:
rationalism wrote:Thus Spake Zarathustra by Friedrich Nietzsche

i read it a few years ago, and i still go back to it to just read a chapter or two every now and then

about catch 22, try reading analysises about it (on wikipedia for instance) and you will probably see it in another light.

@ oblioblioblio, i'll definitly check gogol out even though it seems a bit imposing at a distance. After i've finished tropic of the cancer that is....
Is a great book! I cannot believe sometimes that it talk about stuff I think are the same way.
Also Im reading:

Orwell - 1984
RATIONALISM RECORDS /// www.rationalismrecords.com /// PLEASUREX.CLUB /// https://pleasurex.club/

MYHOUSE YOURHOUSE /// soundcloud.com/mhyh-records /// ZARDOS /// https://zardos.bandcamp.com
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

Carl Smart wrote:
@ oblioblioblio, i'll definitly check gogol out even though it seems a bit imposing at a distance. After i've finished tropic of the cancer that is....
mm 'Dead Souls' is a bit of a mission just cos of it's ambitiousness, but I find Gogol's writing style to be quite welcoming & easy going, so relatively it's ok I think. His short stories are pretty light in their content though (well, more concise and less sprawling, at least)... 'the Overcoat' is a really beauitiful little tale I think.
be~~
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by be~~ »

uritotti wrote:
In an interview in 1945, Camus rejected any ideological associations: "No, I am not an existentialist. Sartre and I are always surprised to see our names linked..."

-----

Me, I have read almost everything that Camus & Sartre wrote and I really love them both.
that's interesting, i never knew that.
bleepbleep
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by bleepbleep »

Currently reading "norwegian wood" by Haruki Murakami. Alittle more "grounded" than some of his other books but probably one of my favourite murakami books so far.
inesb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by inesb »

clubfoot wrote:
clubfoot wrote:The Zap Gun - Philip K dck
would u recommend it? i read "ubik" some time ago and really liked it.

pk rules !

ontopic: just finished The wind-up bird chronicle by murakami,
very lynchean (as in david lynch) atmospheeres, good read.
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

bleepbleep wrote:Currently reading "norwegian wood" by Haruki Murakami. Alittle more "grounded" than some of his other books but probably one of my favourite murakami books so far.
I think that's the one I was reading, but stopped. I don't like his writing style. Way too descriptive - everything is too perfect in it. No-one gets annoyed, accidents don't happen, buses aren't late. It's like some idyllic TV-advert set. Hmm, not for me I guess.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

clubfoot wrote:
bleepbleep wrote:Currently reading "norwegian wood" by Haruki Murakami. Alittle more "grounded" than some of his other books but probably one of my favourite murakami books so far.
I think that's the one I was reading, but stopped. I don't like his writing style. Way too descriptive - everything is too perfect in it. No-one gets annoyed, accidents don't happen, buses aren't late. It's like some idyllic TV-advert set. Hmm, not for me I guess.
yeah, wasn't really into it either. I mean its obviously a good book and stuff but it left me a bit cold.

as for up thread and camus/existentialism. you could argue a really strong case that camus and sarte (less so) are existentialist. The word isn't as loaded as it was in the 1940's and sometimes people are cautious about being labeled this or reduced to that.