loud, quality tracks - am i doing it wrong

- ask away
BigPoe
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by BigPoe »

It's funny, I remember going through the whole loudness phase and thinking how the f!ck do I make my tracks louder?

Now I realise that it's more important to create a track that's well mixed where each element has it's own space.

But, something that made a big difference to the overall loudness for me was using synthesised kicks as opposed to samples (or both layered). I guess the synthesised kicks are generally louder and I was able to better control their resonance. As I always started with the kick I then mixed all the other elements with that as a reference point and therefore everything was maybe a bit louder, (but not necessarily better).
Brankis
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Brankis »

dont compress the master bus unless you are confident in what you are doing

however, i also wouldnt leave it to the mastering stage to get your track hitting solid/loud

try using saturation or certain types of compression on individual tracks or group busses. try dividing your track into 5 groups and compress each one separately

saturation is a new weapon, maybe forget the compressors and focus on that a bit

also remember that all compressors are not created equal. try as many as you possibly can, it's fun discovering the differences in the responses and how you use that to shape your sound.

for me personally, its also worth mentioning that once you get more comfortable, it might be worth going to the hardware domain for compression. you can't cheap on that one but if you get a nice one it will pay you back on every track.

actually, a cheap great hardware unit is the old school DBX 160x, you can get them on ebay for around $200. The producer Adultnapper is using them and many others as a special weapon :)
miro pajic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miro pajic »

instead of advising on this or that compressor i haven't seen the questions about his monitors, room, general experience etc.

room/monitors are the most important factor, or not?

you can't mix if you don't hear correct...
briobox
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by briobox »

miro pajic wrote:instead of advising on this or that compressor i haven't seen the questions about his monitors, room, general experience etc.

room/monitors are the most important factor, or not?

you can't mix if you don't hear correct...
Event PS6 powered monitors + krk sub. Small rectangle room with no treatment.

I have the sub at a reasonable level (not too bassy). For better or worse I'm using the method of finding commercial tracks I like and then really learning how they sound on my monitors and in my room. So that even if the room and monitors are not ideal I still understand how they sound with commercial tracks and then compensate.

My main problem is that my tracks do sound fine - when turned up loud. I just need a good method for close to professional mastering loudness. Currently when I listen to my tracks outside of the studio the volume is so low compared to commercial tracks.

I'm not trying to play in any loudness war, etc. I'm sure that professional mastering would do the trick - but I of course can't pay for professional mastering.

Right now I'm just trying to find the best amateur mastering chain to drop tracks through to brin the level up somewhat.

After reading through recommended threads I'm watching my gains and mixing at about -3 to -6 db. I just need to know the best way to bump the volume up for posting tracks online for others to check out, etc. Currently mine are just so, so low in volume.
briobox
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by briobox »

The other thing that really got me on this thing is listening to professionaly mastered tracks and thinking why can't I learn to make a track sound like that?

I do realize of course that there is a lot of talent that goes into good mastering. However it is still at least 1/2 art and 1/2 skill. I may never have the art but at least the skill can be learned and improved upon. I suppose I just want to start my journey of learning.
Last edited by briobox on Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
miro pajic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miro pajic »

(i havent heard the sound clips..maybe tomorrow..)

few more sadvices:

from what i read it seems that you need more practice and learning / experience.

1. listen to and mix your tracks on LOWer volume! (very important)

2. i suggest you to get a pair of cheap little PC speakers (the ones tht are 20$)
even big mixers of the world use them. trust me, it really helps. if it sounds good on them it's a good sign.

3. take breaks, listen to other stuff inbetween on low and higher volume.
(over and over and over)

4. listen more carefully to the tracks you talk about. as mentioned before: a great sounding master wouldn't sound so great if the mx was only "so so"
any ME will confirm that he can't make sh!t to gold and that is in fact VERY important. get your mixes right. do NOT rely on the mastering stage..that's the biggest mistake!

if you think: hm...the bass is ok...but it'll get more beefy during mastering, then you have failed already.

5. watch the sounds you want to use AND if they harmoize with each other.

6. be patient and don't stress. we all had or have these problems at some point. it's a constant and never ending story!

good luck & stay cool

M_
maximini
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by maximini »

briobox wrote:
I used Waves L3 at one point and it was nice. Any cheaper alternatives?
http://www.yohng.com/w1limit.html

quite happy with that one.
claims to be a clone of the waves L1 in terms of algorithm and circuit.
i dont have any waves plugins to compare but find it very useful for limiting my master output.

it's free.
six_minds
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by six_minds »

regarding just getting volume- my experience has consistently been that digitally mixing things loud --analogue is a completely different ballgame-- so that they are peaking at above -1db tends to be a bad strategy- if you mix so that it is peaking at around -6db, take the stereo bounce down and process it as a stereo file. you have a lot more room to work things with eq, comp and limiting without slamming the master bus... basically, what makes things loud is when all frequency ranges are present and consistent in volume... hope i'm not rambling here...