Klank - FOUR SIXTHS (HQ @ soundcloud)

- music
ferd
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Klank - FOUR SIXTHS (HQ @ soundcloud)

Post by ferd »

It's been a long time since I made something...and i'm in desperate need for feedback :)

Here's the link http://soundcloud.com/klank/four-sixths

Let me know what you think...
Phurniture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Phurniture »

Hmm..doesn't play on my system (maybe I need to upgrade this particular computer to something past Mac OSX 10.3.9). I'll try to check on my other computer later.
Phurniture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Phurniture »

Alright, (on my other system now)...hmmm, very simple. There's never more than a couple of sounds ever happening, which isn't always an issue necessarily, but in this case it feels like the track doesn't know where it wants to go.

For me, I'd like to hear some more syncopation in the rhythm and more modulation (effects) of the synth. The track doesn't build towards anything, and in this type of music the creation of suspense through a build up is crucial.

Production wise, the track is clear and clean. Good, thick kick. I view this track as a tool, rather than a production I'd play on it's own.
JonasEdenbrandt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JonasEdenbrandt »

Like someone already said try working on the song structure. Listen to a few popular tracks and count the bars to see what they do. My tip is a simple radio slave track since they are very straight forward but still exciting.

Also you lack in the lower spectrum, try using another kick and perhaps layering it with a bass. Now the kick sounds very diffrent in some parts of the track pecause of masking so if you bring it down to a lower spectrum u get heavier track and also the kick wont sound different in the mix.

On the bright side i like how some syntheziers kinda play solos using previous material, this gives kind of a jazzy feeling to the track. Also i like alot of the synth melodies and sounds but instead of throwing all of these ideas into one track try making like three or something since theres alot of material here thats great.
ferd
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ferd »

Phurniture wrote:Alright, (on my other system now)...hmmm, very simple. There's never more than a couple of sounds ever happening, which isn't always an issue necessarily, but in this case it feels like the track doesn't know where it wants to go.

For me, I'd like to hear some more syncopation in the rhythm and more modulation (effects) of the synth. The track doesn't build towards anything, and in this type of music the creation of suspense through a build up is crucial.

Production wise, the track is clear and clean. Good, thick kick. I view this track as a tool, rather than a production I'd play on it's own.
OK, i think you gave me a lot of stuff to think about.
Thank you for that.

About the modulation...what kind of modulation would you advice? I tried fiddling with the pitch and velocity but nothing good comes out of it...the only thing that i modulate right now is the release....
ferd
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ferd »

JonasEdenbrandt wrote:Like someone already said try working on the song structure. Listen to a few popular tracks and count the bars to see what they do. My tip is a simple radio slave track since they are very straight forward but still exciting.

Also you lack in the lower spectrum, try using another kick and perhaps layering it with a bass. Now the kick sounds very diffrent in some parts of the track pecause of masking so if you bring it down to a lower spectrum u get heavier track and also the kick wont sound different in the mix.

On the bright side i like how some syntheziers kinda play solos using previous material, this gives kind of a jazzy feeling to the track. Also i like alot of the synth melodies and sounds but instead of throwing all of these ideas into one track try making like three or something since theres alot of material here thats great.
Thx for the advice, I will check out some radio slave tracks...

Talking about the lower frequencies...I agree layering a kick with a bass patch can sound great, but I never get it to work properly.
I can synthesise a decent kick and bass patch...but they never "work" together. I've tried dozens of times to recreate Camea-like kicks and bass but i lack the knowledge/skill...
Can anyone shed more light on this issue?

thx!
JonasEdenbrandt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JonasEdenbrandt »

I'm no master att the bass and kick thing but what i try to do is to filer the kick so it's not in the lowest spectrum of the bass since that will lead to confliction and masking. Then i fiddle with the attack of the bass to make it hit a bit after or before the kick so they groove against each other.