Beatport tax?

- open
damagedgoods
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by damagedgoods »

i might be wrong, but i'm pretty sure i'm right: what usually happens with VAT is that it's charged by your own country. for example, if you live in the UK and buy a widget from the USA, you're not charged any tax until it reaches UK customs, at which point - if they find out - they add VAT (17.5%) and duty (around 2-10% depending on the item). whether or not you get taxed depends on a) whether the value is declared on the shipping label and customs decide to tax it, b) whether customs suspect the widget is valuable and open the packaging, and c) your luck on the day. usually the courier or post office pays the bill and demands the money from you before they deliver your item.

within the EU it's different; i'm not entirely sure how it works though. it's possible that if you order a widget from an EU country to another EU country, you pay the VAT to the country from which you ordered the widget. if beatport has an EU headquarters, this might explain why the VAT amount doesn't correlate to the VAT you'd pay in your own country.

i suspect that beatport has simply avoided charging VAT until now because it's gone unnoticed by various governments.
robitaille
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by robitaille »

JackNine wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:If you want all the tracks off a release yes, but how often is that happening?
(not that I want to defend the higher and higher prices and Beatport)
Totally agree with ya. The last time I bought an entire EP, let alone album, sheesh... who knows when that was.
Oh I always buy the full release. Even if some of the tunes don't grab my attention immediately, I realize that over time a song my attract my attention while in a different state of mind or even if it took time to grow on me. Its also the best way to support the artist in question.
Dan Robitaille
UnitOvOne RecordingsINNERPLANE
Saint Louis MO USA
robitaille
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by robitaille »

G3rard wrote:Slightly off topic, if you are a working self employed DJ and actually pay tax on your earnings (I know most work is cash in hand) then you can claim the tax from your travel expenses, hardware and vinyl purchases.
Do you think you will be able to claim the tax back from your download purchases?
If you are in the US, then the answer is YES. It is an expense. Digital downloading opens up the following for tax deductions based your filing (self-employed or business entity): purchase of computer or depreciation of computer equipment, broadband fees, full cost of downloads, etc.

In addition to reading "john clees" advice, please consult a tax accountant for more details.

Cheers
Dan Robitaille
UnitOvOne RecordingsINNERPLANE
Saint Louis MO USA
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

robitaille wrote:
JackNine wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:If you want all the tracks off a release yes, but how often is that happening?
(not that I want to defend the higher and higher prices and Beatport)
Totally agree with ya. The last time I bought an entire EP, let alone album, sheesh... who knows when that was.
Oh I always buy the full release. Even if some of the tunes don't grab my attention immediately, I realize that over time a song my attract my attention while in a different state of mind or even if it took time to grow on me. Its also the best way to support the artist in question.
I can tell you that you're one of a kind then... From the admin system I can easily see that this happens very very seldom.
v404
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by v404 »

jessejames wrote:Americans get the same. I get charged a few cents every time I make a purchase. Something like "foreign exchange fee" which doesn't make sense to me unless they are dealing in euros now.
You know, if you pay using Paypal, you can avoid that "foreign exchange fee"... ;)

Paypal has lower credit card fees than normal credit card processors. Even my day job uses paypal now to process their CC transactions because of this.
nihad
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by nihad »

in all stores (in eu at least) VAT can be cut if you are a bussines customer. companies don't have to collect VAT for exports. i.e. when i order records from decks i simply give them my vat number and they cut the 19% people usually pay extra ..

now beatport could of course have a field where you can fill in your company info, to me it's a mistery why they don't have that.

i try to avoid beatport as much as possible. i usually collect everything interesting in a beatport basket and then check kompakt, digital tunes and HRFQ. most of the time half of the tracks are available from other sources, usually half the price as BPT...
isaaclevy
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by isaaclevy »

no taxes from Panama
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Changes for Customers:

New Pricing: In an effort to stay ahead of the changing global economy, Beatport is making proactive adjustments to its content pricing strategy in the European and UK markets. The new prices are a reflection of the rapidly changing digital environment and the greater economic challenges our customers are facing. Effective Wednesday December 03, 2008, prices will be as follows:
Exclusive Classic / New Release General
USD $2.49 $1.99 $1.49
GBP £1.73 £1.30 £1.12
EUR €2.17 €1.56 €1.30