XLR8R
My Review

what else?
bleupulp
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by bleupulp »

OK my quick review :
(ill try to line up the shows i have seen in order)

1) BEN SHEMIE présente . presents MIDDLE CLOUDS: FAMILY A. B. C –

that show was totally amazing, i think it was my favorite moment of the mutek, i almost cried at some point since the music was so beautiful..

2) MARTIN MESSIER & JACQUES POULIN-DENIS (Ekumen)
présentent . present LE PROJET PUPITRE - CA

that act was kinda funny and interesting, seing them moving along with the sounds as if they were working......

3) ARTIFICIEL présente . presents ARTIFICIEL.PROCESS/[«MARTIN TÉTREAULT»]

that was so bad i could not even stay inside , it was just loud noize, too much for me,it was so agressing to my hear that i could not even try stay there in order to understand the concept out of it,, i guess it was just conceptual agressive crap... sorry :P

4) CRISTIAN VOGEL (Station 55 Records/Tresor)
présente . presents THE NEVER ENGINE LIVE – CH

they guy had cool sounds and loops but the execution was wack & bad / i dunno
what was going on but his set sounded like if he was playing loops at random in no specifik order, sometime he was getting a groove on then cuting it after a minute then puting a weird break down then some other groove and so on,,,, i would have liked him to play with more fokus ,, anyways... he still had the interesting sounds & loops so it was ok i guess...

5) SLEEPARCHIVE (sleeparchive/Hard Wax) - DE

that was cool and tight , not enuf improvisation thought, exept with his some kind of noise / distortion machine, he was kinda boring to watch play . i think that it was one of those press play type of act, but the tracks were good and the vibe was great...
i enjoyed pretty much :)

6) BAREM (Minus/Foundsound) - AR

kinda cool kinda groovy very dancefloor, not too much elements playing all at once , it was more fokussed on the bass & a few other sounds to create an hypnotik techno house groove.., there was too much bass tho,
it was taking some elements out (i think its the mutek sound man fault tho) :(. it was great over all the kid seemed to know what he was doing, the people liked it, i liked it, will check him out for sure...

7)CHIC MINIATURE (Musique Risquée) – CA/AR

they were rocking it ( 2 guy 2 laptops and a dj mixer) , i noticed that they seemed to make lot of tricks with the sounds & fx for the transitions betwen one track and an other. it was nice but i was kinda out of it so i had trouble to fokuss on it.. i would like to see them playing again in an other ocasion

8) FLYING LOTUS (Warp) - US

one of the most energetic moments of what i have seen & heard in mutek, it was a big mash up of beats bass drums breaks vocal loops and whatever :P people seemed very into it, i was, i am not sure if he was dj-ing with his laptop of playing live pa tho... i dont really know this artist..

9) KODE 9 & SPACE APE (Hyperdub) - UK

kode 9 dj'ing with space ape ont the mic, cant much about it , it was good
but i prefer them live pa

10) I8U - in the SAT basment, she played some drones with high sines over, sometime it was too much for my hears, some other time it was very relax and beautiful.

i didnt go to alot of shows this year, was too tired, but i got to meet some cool people, chilled in MTL.

it was a fun mutek but the the best i have been for sure
nathan_fr
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: mutek 08 reviews

Post by nathan_fr »

smith wrote:I'm curious to see what is out there. Stuff I know of:

Create Digital Music
XLR8R
My Review

what else?
a nespresso ?
dav.id
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dav.id »

Hey BluePulp, that's a cool review. I found same feelings for this edition. Big up for the next Mutek!!! It should be great. :P
tabula rasa