mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

edit: forget it i dont wanna argue
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

ec50 wrote:as for you 'synthesis freaks' - i've never understood it - why make things more difficult? we use synths- we tweak a lot of settings and noises and are creative in our approch - however - in oder to make a simple shaker etc, i see no benefit in synthesis. for your lead synths - basses fx etc. yea - synthesize the crap out of it... but for simple percussion noises etc?... its samples for us
for me, it's an issue of control (probably borderline obsessive compulsive actually, heheh... errr), but yeah, it's nice to shape a sound with technology right from the beginning. to have a piece of code telling another piece of code 'do this', and somehow from these different mechanical interactions with a bit of guidance something musically useful... organic even, can be created.

I definitely don;t wanna say that this is the 'best' way, cos that would be all kinds of silly. I'm just trying to justify my reasons for believing in and for using this specific approach, cos I think part of production is choosing methods that you enjoy and believe in, and this particular method works for me. Obviously, as you say, at the end of the day the only thing that really matters is the end results, but we're all geeks here and to compare and share methods can't be a bad thing.
VanillaCamilla
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by VanillaCamilla »

oblioblioblio wrote:
for me, it's an issue of control.
word man.

it's all about control and expressiveness, and when you know your synth you have a lot of control and expression.

in response to ec50, you're right, why bother trying to create a complex sound, like a shaker? personally, when i want a specific perc i'll usually use a sample b/c as you stated, sometimes it's just to much of a hassle to create one from scratch. but for a majority of noises, synths are my first choice. :)
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

souls wrote:
hydrogen wrote:There is no such thing as minimal drums.
i know there is no such thing as minimal-drums but ppl might get an idea what sound im after and as i asked if somebody can recommend battery3 drum-kits the term "minimal-drums" makes sense imo.

but thanks for your reply
If you have battery and some effect vsts you should be able to manipulate any drum sounds into whta you are looking for. There arent PRE made minimal drums because there arent any drums that work like that. Its all about how you manipulate your dums.
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

VanillaCamilla wrote:but im not sure it's wise to limit yourself to JUST synthesis

Definately clueless.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
VanillaCamilla
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by VanillaCamilla »

plaster wrote:
VanillaCamilla wrote:but im not sure it's wise to limit yourself to JUST synthesis

Definately clueless.
please explain, i dont want to be clueless forever. why close off options?

edit: and if you're refering to me being clueless b/c of the fact that my statement could be contradicting (synthesis isnt limited) then i understand your comment, then w/e, say what you will.
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

VanillaCamilla wrote:
plaster wrote:

Definately clueless.
please explain, i dont want to be clueless forever. why close off options?

edit: and if you're refering to me being clueless b/c of the fact that my statement could be contradicting (synthesis isnt limited) then i understand your comment, then w/e, say what you will.
Yes, it was contradictory wise. I'm sorry if it sounded harsh, i couldn't find an appropriate word to accompany my feeling.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
Kleig
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Kleig »

To the OP:

I personally synthesize most of my stuff. More fun, you can tweak the sound to your liking and you don't have to scroll through the endless lists of samples/presets to get the sound you want after learning the basics of synthesis.

You can get far with Synth1 and Drumatic 3. Both are free and from the easier end of synths, so I'd recommend them. Synth1 is good for noise+1oscillator stuff like snares/hihats, percussion stuff and other stuff like that as in drums, though it's capable of a lot else too in other areas.

Drumatic 3 has a nice and punchy kick. Also Psychic Modulation's Minimal VST (yeah the name is cheesy) has good general stuff, except the bass "synth" is a bit crappy.

Google those names and download them if you want to, they're all free so you lose nothing.