minimal drum kit - tips and tricks

- ask away
kwality
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kwality »

The thing that attracted me to mnml above all other styles was that it originality is still applauded. Don't let it become a cliche!

Just do what sounds right to you - there aren't minimal drums, minimal vst's or minimal arrangements... Just make the music you feel.

And you're right, most dnb has become trash because of "rules".
Android
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Android »

And you're right, most dnb has become trash because of "rules".
couldn't agree more, 99% of the new dnb releases are soo cheesy, I just can't get into the 'sound of circus' music or whatever it is...

I was listening to some Boards of Canada earlier, their albums really age well, there are always new sounds to discover and samples peaking out from under the slide show. I wasn't super thrilled about their latest offering, but music has the right to children and geogaddi are amazing!

even though the music is simple,
its the ingredients that make it taste so refined.

when we are down to the fewest parts,
they better be the best ones. 8)
Uncrackable
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Uncrackable »

Well i'm new into production, and i must say one thing... I think people should MAKE THEIR OWN SOUNDS! Take a recorder, a mic something a record stuff around u...
Sure oldskool rocks, and in my opinion some claps or cowbells do rock in mnml tracks... but i think people should create their own drum kits or what u guys want to call it...
I don't have almost any experience, but one thing i sure will bet doing minimalistic music, is to create my own sounds :)

(Big boys stuff, like gaiser snares is for inspiration :P)
caemgen
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by caemgen »

If you want the fast & easy way: "Vengeance Minimal House - SampleCD - over 2400 ultra-evil minimal sounds"

If you can make a dope track with that, cool... If you can make a dope track with your own sounds, even cooler.

To me minimal is more of an approach to music than a certain sound. I have a similar view on glitch. Making glitch with the dblue glitch plugin is maybe missing the point. Maybe there is no point at all, maybe it's just technology steering music and sound in a certain direction. Maybe it doesn't matter what you use as long as it sounds good.
Ok, I'm rambling on, I'll stop now...
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

Directions:

1) buy ableton live and a microphone

2) eat a mixture of beans, brocolli and hot sauce*

3) lay down a 4 to the floor kick drum

4) hit record on audio channel 1

5) fart into the mic

6) put beat repeat in the effects chain

7) enjoy

Voila!!!!!!!

*add eggs if you want the track to be a little more funky

If this doesn't work i don't know what to tell ya :wink:
oe
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by oe »

torque, you are the blessing of this forum))
BobStock
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by BobStock »

sorgenkind wrote:if you are a live user, try to watch (and make) the operator tutorials about making drum sounds with synths.
You'll be able to understand how to make drum sound with any synth in a few hours if not minutes.
At the end it's all about envelope (!!!), with a bit of patience you'll be able to turn almost every synth in a drum machine.
Fact is that we all have heard many many times the 606-808-909 drum sounds, it could be nice to come up with new drum sounds every now and then, in my humhle opinion -> that's why my 909 and 606 and the studio mate 808 are sitting in a corner of the studio.
Hmm. samples always sound much worse besides the real hardware ones.
QiK
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by QiK »

skept wrote:what does "minimal drums" mean? people also post on here asking about "minimal basslines" and other things.

i like the current state of techno because it doesn't seem to be limited by things like what you are asking about. people seem to be going in many directions with it. if a "minimal" sound is defined the same thing might happen to our genre of choice that has happened to dnb. there is definitely and unfortunately a "dnb" drum sound and a "dnb" bass sound. that is why the genre has fallen flat on it's face and not progressed for years. i hope the same doesn't happen to contemporary techno.

what i mean, which i could have said much simpler, is... why do you want your drums to sound like "minimal" as you say? what do YOU like? make YOUR drums sound how YOU want. if you want your drums to sounds like other's drums just cut samples from the first and last bars of popular tracks.
yeah man ! I agree...
although I´ve to ask: what is Minimalism? and how this concept (if I like it...oh, yes...I do)could be applied to my music ...(drums or whtever) in some NEW ways? .... just trying to go deeper in wht is mnml...and gettin´ some fresh air to my sick brain :wink: