Is Minus becoming the Get Physical of minimal?

- wax
idealstandard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by idealstandard »

theclockstrucktwelve wrote:Plus8 and Minus are one in the same in my eyes, just different logos to organize stuff in their office or something these days, and I very much like the output of both. The sum of the output of both labels is something greater I think and I really like.
Alright, the thing is I'm not talking of the late Plus 8 but the older releases and I donnot hear a connection with what I've heard from m_nus, matter of taste I guess but that's another story, innit? ;-)

Now, I just have to say one thing on this thema:

Vapourspace - Gravitational Arch Of 10 :!: :!: :!:
v404
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by v404 »

I've really tried hard to stay out of this thread because I really don't feel that Minus is doing anything wrong or cashing in or selling out. If anything, I have more respect for Minus now simply because they recognized the surge in creativity & public interest & they helped cultivate it as it was happening. (IMO) Minus couldn't have released all of this music had none of that happened and who's to say what would be w/o it. Minus was always a purveyor of Minimal aesthetic & they still are and I don't think they're putting out overtly subquality music at all. But I think we can all agree that "Minimal Techno" has changed leaps & bounds over the last few years & Minus as a label has acknowledged that & stayed on top of it.

And while Minus has certainly issued some releases that I prefer over others, that's the case w/ most labels. And even though I don't care for a few records, it doesn't diminish the ones that I do enjoy. And I'm thankful that they continue to push things & stretch out their limitations.

I'd hardly compare them to Get Physical. And while I agree that there are labels & artists alike out there that cash in on a fad or trend, I don't think it's really fair to point fingers at Minus. They've always done what they've done & you can't blame them for pursuing new artists & embracing a new take on their forte.. Especially in the face of so many promising new artists.. Many of which are now staples of Minimal Techno due to their exposure & recognition from Minus.

Seriously, I could name many other labels that I feel have made questionable "contributions" to the development of the any genre, let alone Minimal Techno, and Minus wouldn't make the list. And once the smoke clears from the "Minimal" craze thats been underway for that past few years, Minus will still be there. And I think that will be the most telling indication of their intentions as a label.
TroySilver
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by TroySilver »

Well said.
gan_on
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by gan_on »

theclockstrucktwelve wrote:Hahahaha.

This whole thing is hysterical. People talking like they know their sht, and with attempted authority too. Bottom line - is there a point to all this "hawtin bashing" ? Can it even be called that? Because the slang term "bashing" usually suggests that there's something there to make fun of though..

Fact is, whether it bothers you or not, Hawtin has always been a true innovator with real specific vision. He's been the first to do a lot of things, and call it coincidence, but every time that techno land starts developing new trends and sounds and things... it usually follows something he's done.

For most of you (notice I said most, not all): I don't understand how you can sit there typing away about how or why you think what he does/has done isn't good/whatever... aside from the obvious fact that you're wrong, he's been doing this thing about 15 more years than you've known what "techno" even was. I'm not saying you have to like anything he does but some of the things being said around here are absurd.

All the commentary about "Oh, there's better DJs out there", this and that - aside from being pointless, I don't know how you figure.. by what methods do you measure? and in what way is someone "better" ? (rhetorical)

He's constantly pushed the envelope and been the leader in at least a couple major eras in this techno thing. His skills are impeccable and final-f'n'ly... he's not just a "record player".. he's one of the first to actually do exciting things that turned DJing into performance in the techno scene (don't get confused and angry thinking i'm discounting the historical roll of hip hop, turntablism, etc.. I'm talking about a different sort of thing here). And to the post about not many people putting him in their top DJ lists... I don't know why the hell you'd say that because he should be right up there near the top... but of course, everyone has preferences... (for example, it's often people who like more housey or 'musical', less technoey and not minimal kinda stuff)

Let me get to a point here. Fact is, he and his label and people have garnered a lot of attention and respect over the years. This isn't american television and MTV... it's not a hype and marketing thing..this was something underground that was built from scratch and has really become something amazing. He/they are not the only ones out there doing amazing things, and no fan or supporter has even suggested such a thing. But they are definitely a big important piece of the pie here and it's ignorant to suggest otherwise. He's contributed HUGE to the scene and there's a reason he's got a lot of eager fans.

So, stop this pointless argueing and bickering and jealousy and whatever words would be appropriate to throw in here and show some respect. Things would be different in a very bad way if they weren't around, and they've earned it. We've every right to criticize things/music/whatever, it's an important part of existance in today's world. But there's a difference between that and this silly business that's been going on. I'm not trying to drop a "PLUR" sign here... don't misread me. And I don't "worship" them or anything... I just love the music, love the scene and i've been into it all too long to see some people come along and try and say the what's what, all uneducated like. I'd speak defensively for anyone who's contributed as much as these guys have... not that they need it..
yeah, thank you...

what are you guys on about? it just a label...a label with a clear line of thought running through everything they do...a very successful label.
and obviously they do it very well. what is your problem, really...cause i cant figure it out

and hating on richie hawtin (or anyone else for that matter)...come on...get your attention elsewhere
From Shadow Moses?"
jay haze
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

get over it-

Post by jay haze »

minus-schminush
its about the music baby! its only music.... and minus is a wicked label!
when they start releasing garbage, start talking the garbage aight?

:wink:
najem::sworb
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by najem::sworb »

:::::::::
Last edited by najem::sworb on Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
najem::sworb
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: get over it-

Post by najem::sworb »

::::::::::::
Last edited by najem::sworb on Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mohson_iqbal
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

workrate workrate workrate

Post by mohson_iqbal »

hay interesting thread, well i have also thinking the same thing but the one thing we do not take into account is the work rate and creative difference that mr richie evolves with! yes they are on top and yes they do get the whole minus family to remix each other but sad to say, this is a real collective of artists and freinds....i am a 'journo' and try and avoid the bouncing around and 'bitchin' or name sake-ing of minus but compared to must they do it quick and more often! lets get the Perlon,Hello Repeat, Cynosure,Liebe Detail,Highgrade,Tresor..... guys to drop the weed pop some mdma a few times a week, it might increase there work rate!!!! but the key question is who will take over the m-nus circus when Richie stops..??? Troy...Magda....or GAiser..>???