proforming LIVE with ableton

- ask away
mech84
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

proforming LIVE with ableton

Post by mech84 »

when proforming live with ableton is it better to use external harddrives, so that the laptop can proform at a better speed?
Measax
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Measax »

I don't see why it would hurt to do that? Unless you are like me and forget which hard drive your material is on and end up grabbing the wrong one...So, if you havemultiple hds mark them! But even with stuff on your hard dire I have seen guys with old laptops with 256 ram and crap bus get by...My room mate has lots of sh!t on his internal drive that he plays on live and he puts up tons of plug-ins lots of edits...cpu still never has hit over 50 for him...that being on a 12 inch power book and 1.5 gs of ram. So I would do it the way that is easy for you. I'd go it external though....
ri
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ri »

Using a hard drive that isn't running your programs and OS is better for music, so go external if you can. Especially if your external HD is faster than your internal one. Well worth getting a good one.
r.i.

let the music talk
Nightrider
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Nightrider »

Does anyone know for sure if my external 7200rpm USB2.0 HDD would be better than my internal 5400rpm HDD PB 15" 1.5GB Ram?
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

u cant beat 7200 with 5400 :wink:
the overall speed of the computer is closely related to the speed of the hdd
i'd get firewire drive though
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
tantra4
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by tantra4 »

It's all about latency. If your external and your comp cant communicate fast enough you could run into some problems. I would agree that a firewire external is the way to go, avoid usb externals if possible, they're great for general storage but for live performance I wouldnt trust em. And not to get into the pc vs mac debate but since Ive switched to mac Ive never looked back, its like night and day.
BobStock
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by BobStock »

Don't know, what the problem shut be. It depends on what of kind laptop or computer u use. I got a macbook pro, and it kicks ass.
BobStock
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by BobStock »

tantra4 wrote:It's all about latency. If your external and your comp cant communicate fast enough you could run into some problems. I would agree that a firewire external is the way to go, avoid usb externals if possible, they're great for general storage but for live performance I wouldnt trust em. And not to get into the pc vs mac debate but since Ive switched to mac Ive never looked back, its like night and day.

I totaly agree 8)