The 'Techniques for making minimal/melodic tracks' thread.

- ask away
harass
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by harass »

provaznik wrote:
leecurtiss wrote:hey if anyone has tips on how to stroke my ego a little better, i would appreciate it. the way i ahve been doing it was great but it is starting to get sore and i am bored of the basic stoke i have been using.
?
try sitting on your hand to make it go numb
fredrik_h
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fredrik_h »

harass wrote:
provaznik wrote:
leecurtiss wrote:hey if anyone has tips on how to stroke my ego a little better, i would appreciate it. the way i ahve been doing it was great but it is starting to get sore and i am bored of the basic stoke i have been using.
?
....finally the thread is getting interesting... :D
provaznik
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by provaznik »

harass wrote:
provaznik wrote:
?
:roll:
ok, what the fck. i am not trying to stroke my own ego, neither am i trying to demean anyones opinions in the process. i am sorry you have interpreted my posts in this manner as i am not trying to flame anyone. i like this board because it is relatively peaceful, but i must admit i find your comment equally inflamitory and equally as low as you found mine.

but please understand harass, i don't want beef with you or anyone else here. that is not why i come here, i am not a troll.

cool?
provaznik
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by provaznik »

anyways back to the topic at hand.
i have found that my kicks are always quiet if i don't sample them or layer them. is it typical for synthesized kicks to be quiet until i boost the signal or am i doing something wrong?
Militikie
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Militikie »

try up-side down stroking your ego at different intervals, don`t put your feedback to high while stroking. thats the best way i think!

and provaznik: don`t take this all wrong, this is just making fun of the moment.
and about your kick comment, maybe your source of kicksamples has low volume. But phattening your kicks is never a wrong thing, layering when u work with samples is a good thing. also eq, limiting, compression etc.
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

harass wrote:
provaznik wrote:
?
:lol: :lol: just fell of my chair :lol:
provaznik wrote:anyways back to the topic at hand.
i have found that my kicks are always quiet if i don't sample them or layer them. is it typical for synthesized kicks to be quiet until i boost the signal or am i doing something wrong?
they come pretty hefty from this one: Drumatic 3 :wink:
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

provaznik wrote:anyways back to the topic at hand.
That's what limiters are good for. The problem could also be solved if you mix down your track around your kick drum so it will be louder than the other sounds. You can also try giving it some reverb on the same send channel you use for your other drums so you can drop the sound into an acoustic space, but be sure to keep the reverb on the kick extremely light or it will muddy up the track.
provaznik
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by provaznik »

nice one torque. anyone know of a good freeware limiter for mac? i would like to try this and see if it helps me at all with the sounds i am making.