The 'Techniques for making minimal/melodic tracks' thread.

- ask away
MarcAshken
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MarcAshken »

i dont disagree with your point, but i think it warrented its own thread. I personally thought it was obvious from the 1st guys post that it was meant to be a tips resource and not a guide to minimal by numbers.

Anyhow, here's my tip, I like to split sounds into different frequency bands and effect the different parts seperatley. For example, i'd take an acid bassline, split the signal, run one through a LPF and the other through a HPF and then add panning and switchable effects to just the signal running through the HPF. Pretty basic for most probably, but its a lil fave of mine.
532nm
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by 532nm »

MarcAshken wrote:For example, i'd take an acid bassline, split the signal, run one through a LPF and the other through a HPF and then add panning and switchable effects to just the signal running through the HPF. Pretty basic for most probably, but its a lil fave of mine.
just to clarify...
do you mean "double" the bass line, running one copy through lowpass & one through hipass?

sounds cool, i'll have to try that.

here's my tip.
i like to make drum samples longer and more metallic with a granulizer or whatever, then choke them with an envelope, so i can manipulate their sustain.
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

u dont need to copy or double it (two signal sources - more processing power needed) u can have one signal going to different channels/tracks whatever.
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
harass
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by harass »

I'm happy everyone managed to lighten up a little more and offer some ideas.

I do something similar to Marc’s idea with my ambient stuff. I can’t think of any amazing tips I could offer though. It’s nothing special, but recently, I’ve been focusing on running all my percussion through one channel then adding 'bizarre' effects on top, I've been trying to achieve more rotation within the track and have got some interesting results, can sometimes get too messy though.
532nm
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by 532nm »

Robot Criminal wrote:u dont need to copy or double it (two signal sources - more processing power needed) u can have one signal going to different channels/tracks whatever.
oh yeah, der
Alex semko
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Alex semko »

Torque wrote:
MarcAshken wrote:was the 2nd poster i was reffering to mate, not you 8)
I wasn't aware i really took the thread off topic. Were you offended by something i said in-particular?

I'll admit not everything i say will always rub people the right way and it's not intended to. The reason i come to the production forums here is because i think it's great that there are so many people that are actually interested in making electronic music. Alot of the people that make the style of music i lean towards are not going to come on here because they don't want to be the one giving the different perspective. I look at it a bit differently. I see a huge amount of potential for some future spectacular artists on here and i think it's a good thing for you to all get together and help eachother learn, but if people really want to learn then they have to be willing to listen to things they don't want to hear as well as the things they do want to hear. I come here to the production forums in order to help if i can but in order to do that i have to tell the truth and my post was as honest as they come.
Torque, I'm feelin this man. I think you've hit the nail on the head that if you want to move on you've got to be prepared to listen to the things you don't want to hear. Also agree that there are some really talented peeps on the forum and I for 1 have learned a lot from the good and the 'bad' feedback i've received. Group hug???

AS :wink:
tsod
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tsod »

too sad those threads are always doomed to failure :cry:
v.s-yogi
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by v.s-yogi »

i'm just reading and analizing! gracias!! for those useful tips!
one thing its clear. theres no better filling than creating your own, and not just music! its alway great when you can express your felling trough thing you love and enjoy!