Analog warmth to songs produced on software

- ask away
motoperpetuo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Analog warmth to songs produced on software

Post by motoperpetuo »

Hi motoperpetuo:

Using Low Pass filters is a good start, you can specify the cut off point to edge out hi frequencies. 'Warmth' in a musical sense is a quite subjective but If all your synth sounds are coming from within the box, you can stick an EQ on all of them and set it to a Low Pass filter. if you need more 'air' you can then boost INTO that filter but the cut off point will act as a 'barrier' from nasty hi end harmonics getting through and those, once accumulated, interfere with a lot of things. So round things off with filters, use a spectrum analyzer to see where your parts naturally roll off and adjust accordingly.

Across your 2buss, you can also apply a filter - a low pass and set it to something like 16 or 17k at 6 or 12db per 8ve. You can experiment with this but I can't hear above that so I'm happy about there personally. And then any 2buss eq you have you can use a bell curve INTO that filter to get air if need be.

Thanks Dude! great hints! =D worked good...

Someone knows or recommend eqs, compressors and pre amp plugins that can give a color just by sending the sound thru them? i bet there are some, that just by passing the sound thru will give color... someone?
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Re: Analog warmth to songs produced on software

Post by John Clees »

motoperpetuo wrote:
John Clees wrote:Leave it up to mastering, find something you can have fun expressing yourself on.

: )
John, but im curious, which gear a mastering engineer would process it to make it hotter haa-ha (-) (-) (-) :-sta

can be even plugins like mentioned above by our friend
Good question!

Generally speaking, anything can work (from low to high) and can be enhanced with mastering in theory if it's recorded/mixed down properly. * Just meaning not too loud.

Also exporting hardware or projects one channel at a time also gives you flexibility in Ableton, or other daw's to later be used in another location/studio for a final mixdown.

Sometimes keeping older stuff around, forcing you to create "from a different" or even "limiting" perspective gives you perhaps another project idea/style/approach/alias maybe.

I've purposely gone back to two separate workstations again.

Spend downtime when you don't feel creative and make as many custom patterns as you can speeding up the implementation from the idea, energy, to expression.

Therefore finding something you feel free on, where your own process is free-flowing to me, is always rule numero uno!

Some hardware or software is so fickle you lose time/energy "trying" to create on them.

Use what you have within your budget as each process is its own stepping stone.

So even the downside to a challenge is a blind blessing.