kick shaping

- ask away
Nhouz
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

kick shaping

Post by Nhouz »

hey guys need your advice.
i'm trying to shape my kick in a certain way with bad results.
i want to make it more round and smooth but solid in the middle.

i report 3 tracks that in my opinion have that ''round'' feature i mean
https://soundcloud.com/melisma-crew/lor ... i-elements
https://soundcloud.com/clats/chirstophe ... ousse-snip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXsYNKRYcFE

which is the trick to use to make them like that? i'm working a lot with at sus releas and playing around with compression (high attack , short release 4:1 compression ) but still not satisfied.
thanks for your effort and hope there is someone able to help me out!
cheers 8)
Tevol
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: kick shaping

Post by Tevol »

You should try transient shaper
Nhouz
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Nhouz »

nice tips, i saw on many videos that works for make the kick more snappy. if i find a plugin where it works also in the opposite way (smoothing the attack) i can do it. i'll work on this thx
Nhouz
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Nhouz »

do you recommend any special plugins?
Nhouz
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Nhouz »

of course i layer, i normally do it for a lot of sounds, and kickdrum is one of these.
5 layers is a lot, you can do it, is one of the 1000 choices you can take but i'm not gonna layer so much. i like to restrict a bit and create a good kick, which i match with few others for different reasons,i mostly prefer working for subtraction than for addition.
that is one of the ways to follow . the result is the important part.
i asked only because playing around with ASDR was not enough to shape my kicks exactly how i whished. actually i found out that transient shaper is a very good weapon and usefull for many things. worked for my kikcs and is working well on other sounds.
very grateful for the tips.
cheers boy thanks
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Transient designers ( well decent one's ) will let you reduce transients as well as increase them. If you're looking to soften kicks, you can also do this in a sampler. You just edge the attack envelope up past the point of any click or sharp transients. You'll be left with a softer tone which can disappear into a mix but add a compressor with a dry/wet option and an eq and you can 'pop' some snap back into the kick without introducing sharp clicks or anything, a bit of eq to lift the top end will bring it forward in the mix whilst keeping an altogether softer rounder tone. This works better on some kicks than others so experiment.
Nhouz
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Nhouz »

AK indeed i had good results. i can't live without transiet designers anymore!
veery useful also in way more various ways and on other sounds!
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Nhouz wrote:AK indeed i had good results. i can't live without transiet designers anymore!
veery useful also in way more various ways and on other sounds!
Nice one mate.

Yeah, it depends on what type of kick sound you're going for. I know how to get the sound that I personally want but someone else might want a totally different sound. One thing though, most people tend to mix the kicks too loud or/and they spend too long worrying about the kick when they havent even got a full track to put it in. What works best for me is to experiment with different kicks at the end of the track. This simple process I got off a guy on soundcloud, basically, don't sweat too much over your kick until you have enough music for it to sit in, then audition loads of different kicks at the end. It can change everything sometimes. :)