Track Naming?

- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Track Naming?

Post by AK »

:lol:

I can't be the only one who gets into this but here's an example of working on a track and saving it with a generic name and then getting lost as to which version you like best.

deep dub 1
deep dub 1.b
deep dub 2
deep dub 3
deep dub 3.b
deep dub 3.c
deep dub 4
deep dub final version
deep dub final version 2
deep dub definitely final version
deep dub total remake
deep dub total remake 2
.............................................etc etc

Wtf man, don't tell me this is just me?
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Track Naming?

Post by hydrogen »

Totally had to stop doing the number thing. Each change is now an explicit file name... But it's just as bad

Dub (bass more better)
Dub (hyphee drum edits)
Dub (next level rides)
Dub (restart everything)
Dub (adjusted low end)
Dub (finished mix down)

Then I sort by date if I need to find the latest one...

It's really only marginally better but I find the more descriptive I am the easier it is to know.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

:lol:

It gets crazy real quick. What I am going to do and I have no clue as to why this eluded me for so long, is bounce out/record a main chunk of the track as a reference and put it in the project folder so I can have a quick listen to what I can expect before I spend the next hour opening and closing each version of a project going, "nah that wasn't the one, must be the next one" etc etc.

The stuff I have named by dates is just silly, I have way too much and I haven't the faintest idea of what they were until I open the DAW project file. This is really time consuming. But then again, you can't really give a track a name until it develops enough. I'd sooner just delete the whole lot than have all the versions with decimal places confusing the hell out of me.
mattialonato
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mattialonato »

AK wrote::lol:

I can't be the only one who gets into this but here's an example of working on a track and saving it with a generic name and then getting lost as to which version you like best.

deep dub 1
deep dub 1.b
deep dub 2
deep dub 3
deep dub 3.b
deep dub 3.c
deep dub 4
deep dub final version
deep dub final version 2
deep dub definitely final version
deep dub total remake
deep dub total remake 2
.............................................etc etc

Wtf man, don't tell me this is just me?
Same here since years. :lol: :lol:
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

AK wrote::lol:

It gets crazy real quick. What I am going to do and I have no clue as to why this eluded me for so long, is bounce out/record a main chunk of the track as a reference and put it in the project folder so I can have a quick listen to what I can expect before I spend the next hour opening and closing each version of a project going, "nah that wasn't the one, must be the next one" etc etc.
I have been doing this as well. I have to say it is very much worth the time it takes to do the render.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest