Hi-freqs on vinyl

- ask away
GabriG
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Hi-freqs on vinyl

Post by GabriG »

Hi guys, just a question.

I usually buy vinyls and like to play them at small venues when possible, but usually the flexibility of digital is needed so I must rip every record to wav (and mp3) and play them by cdj2000.

I noticed that my recordings are so much closed on the highs than they should be (according to decks.de and deejay.de previews, for example).
I use two 1210s and a pair of Ortofon Concorde Pro for ripping, sometimes going mixer-pc, others using an external audio card directly from 1210 to pc, with the same result. I use Soundforge to edit and save the tracks and it seems to work well, so I can't understand where the hot point is. Previews and related vinyls look like quite different tracks, and it's not good.

Any thoughts?

Thank you

GG
damnwords
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Hi-freqs on vinyl

Post by damnwords »

Sometimes the samples on those websites are compressed a lot, so that might be a thing.

If you want to verify your rips to make sure you're not doing anything wrong, do a plot spectrum on them : http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/plot_spectrum.html (?)
GabriG
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by GabriG »

Did it with Sound Forge, here is the result on two random tracks.

http://www105.zippyshare.com/v/jIwGjzZI/file.html

The blue and orange tracks are those ripped by me, am I wrong or it seems to be the opposite of the problem that I'm reporting? I'm really confused now ahah.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

if you're trying to match your own vinyl daisy chained into your computer through another sound card vs. a digital online sample thats sound has been manipulated for loudness and least amount of online server weight may not be a fair comparison to try to make... some record samples could be as low as 96 kps. which are notorious for high pitched or chimey sounding frequencies that aren't a true expression of the source.

did you balance "every" record independently to the signal, level, and eq to your desired ear or did you have a once size signal all? perhaps your mixer signal isn't proportioned to how it gets recorded into your soundforge through your sound card? perhaps the input into your sound card should be raised 10-15%?
damnwords
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by damnwords »

GabriG wrote:Did it with Sound Forge, here is the result on two random tracks.

http://www105.zippyshare.com/v/jIwGjzZI/file.html

The blue and orange tracks are those ripped by me, am I wrong or it seems to be the opposite of the problem that I'm reporting? I'm really confused now ahah.
If the blue and orange graphs are for your tracks, you're fine. Also, if you look at the green graphs, they kind of stop at 16KHz, so that's what, 128kpbs mp3 encoding ? From samples ?

Also, what John said :)
GabriG
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by GabriG »

damnwords wrote:If the blue and orange graphs are for your tracks, you're fine. Also, if you look at the green graphs, they kind of stop at 16KHz, so that's what, 128kpbs mp3 encoding ? From samples ?

Also, what John said :)
You're right, my tracks seem fine.
Yes they're mp3 samples from youtube (16khz mp3 cut), they sound generally worse but look like more open on the high side.
My tracks are obviously better, I just wanted to discover if the "more closed" hi-freq of my tracks is the-way-the-records-should-sound or just a sort of failure of my equipment, in comparison to the previews, that's all.

Thank you.
GabriG
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by GabriG »

John Clees wrote:did you balance "every" record independently to the signal, level, and eq to your desired ear or did you have a once size signal all? perhaps your mixer signal isn't proportioned to how it gets recorded into your soundforge through your sound card? perhaps the input into your sound card should be raised 10-15%?
I usually use an external sound card, adjusting it not more than -2db peak when recording and then normalizing to -0,5db after occasionally removing pops or clicks. When I use a mixer I stay below 0db about gain and master and adjust the sound card input the same way as before. My tracks generally sound good when I play them at venues, just wondering if that "lack" of hi-freqs is the way that track should sound or some sort of failure. Thank you
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

"lack" of hi-freqs is the way that track should sound or some sort of failure.
buy the wave/mp3 too and check...
;)