- ask away
timbarel
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

How to get that huge Sub?

Post by timbarel »

I 'm desperately trying to make a huge sub like this :

at 0:30 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNzNJUIuLQA

i tried playing with sinewaves, filters and eq, but no even close...
i think there is some pitch automation going, for the movement, but i 'm more interested in the sound it self.
anyone got some advice? would really appreciate it.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: How to get that huge Sub?

Post by AK »

2 things spring to mind when reading your post. Sinewaves and filters.

Firstly, you don't need to filter a sine wave, there's nothing to filter out as it's a pure fundamental tone so you'd effectively just be rducing the volume.

Secondly, don't use sinewaves for your sole source of bass, there's not enough frequency information in the waveform for the bass to sound full and warm and you'd have a hard job of hearing it on anything but headphones and speakers with a low frequency extention.

You'll get much better results starting with a waveform which is rich in harmonic content, sawtooths, square waves and pulse waves are good starting point but anything with a full sound too. Then apply a low pass 24 filter and bring the cut off right down to where you can still hear upper bass registers at at least 100hz even higher but juggle that cut off to a pont where you can hear the bass on speakers that cut off higher like domestic hi fi speakers.

That's generally a decent starting point, after that it's about your patterns, note duration, modulation and post processing efx like compression and eq if using.
slono
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by slono »

This, and I found the most important is the pitch bend / glide on the sub (this is a single note that is pitched upwards over a quarter note). That has the tendency to make a sub feel big because it will hit a range of sub-frequencies and one of them will sound huge on what you're listening on :).
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

slono wrote:This, and I found the most important is the pitch bend / glide on the sub (this is a single note that is pitched upwards over a quarter note). That has the tendency to make a sub feel big because it will hit a range of sub-frequencies and one of them will sound huge on what you're listening on :).
great advice.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
kevgeedj
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kevgeedj »

Pitch Automation works well!