Recommendations for some introductory gear?

- ask away
Zph+
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Recommendations for some introductory gear?

Post by Zph+ »

Hi there guys

I'm reasonably new to the world production, i've had a play round with ableton for a number of years but have recently found a lust for a bit of hardware to jam around with. I purchased a korg electribe 6 months ago and ive been having lots of fun with it and its given me a good range of percussion to play around with. Although i've found im missing out on the fuller warmer bass tones im really wanting. could anyone recommend a bit of hardware which wouldnt be too expensive to get me going? or give me a bit of advice to get more out of the electribe?

thanks
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Re: Recommendations for some introductory gear?

Post by John Clees »

what kind of budget are you working with?
min to max ?
Zph+
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Zph+ »

Probably around the £100-200 range
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

that's low. there are a ton of "get your attention" look at all the knobs units out there for a the intro low cost appeal, but end up being completely sh!t. meaning dollar for dollar, you'd make your purchase 3 months later you'd think it sucked, and then be in a situation where you have to sell your gear and/or half off back to the store you just bought in from. just to start, I'd say wait until your budge is at least $400ish before making a purchase. getting away from the $200 market of cheap thrills. perhaps a great drum plug in would fill a need in that range. financing would obviously open up some doors as well for some strategic buying power : not sure if that's an option.
Zph+
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Zph+ »

Well on that advice I'll save for a little more, would you be able to recommend an reasonably priced bit of kit though that's doesn't break the bank?
Zph+
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Zph+ »

I'll be sure to! I'll definitely have a look at that, thanks alot
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Zph+ wrote:Although i've found im missing out on the fuller warmer bass tones im really wanting.
Yamaha DX7. :)

if your looking to jam on something you'll probably want a sequencer inside... maybe even try the korg volca bass. man there is so much out there... just really depends on exactly what you WANT to do.

IMO you could do all of this stuff without the hardware. warm bass can come from any soft synth too. TAL-Bassline, U-he Diva, OliLarkin virtual CZ... Just to name a few.

for me personally... i use different bass all the time... switch up between bass guitar, 101, moog, dx7 and even just a sinewave some amplitude modulation on it run through some distortion. Its all about what fits the sound you are trying to achieve or just experiment with... think about what kind of experience you would like to have with playing/manipulating the sound and then find a tool that will get you that. Cheers!
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

I deleted my post I didn't want to share with others...haha...
hydrogen wrote:Yamaha DX7. :)
fantastic advise. I had the mini one for a few years and ended up selling it for $150.
° also have the mono original in my basement...not sure how much they are now.
lots of knobs to play with but I'm not sure how practical it was to fill a need.
but then again I never utilized it properly with midi when I had it...