zip, pantytec, dimbiman etc. - electribes

- ask away
briobox
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

zip, pantytec, dimbiman etc. - electribes

Post by briobox »

I've recently become quite obsessed with zip, pantytech, dimbiman, etc. - beautiful stuff and very, very nice sounds. I then read that he was using the Korg ER-1 for some of his stuff. This is NOT a "how can I sound like _______ thread" but instead a "I'm interested in awesome stuff made with rather normal gear" thread. So, any info him or other Perlon artists using the Korgs?

In particular, I find it interesting that while Elektron gets a lot of fame I can't find much information about the big Perlon artists using Elektron stuff (surely the Machinedrum is on things though? very minimal sounds possible with it).

I suppose I am fantasizing about all this awesome music being made on very normal gear. I realize it is the talent that matters but surely we all like to think about the gear too. I find it very satisfying to know that a cheap old Korg ER-1 was possibly making some of those very nice sounds.

Any info?

What about the mastering? I know Zip and Ricardo, etc. have lots of nice gear now but I wonder how the earlier stuff was mastered? It all has a great sound. Is it a case of nice mastering or ghetto-style good gear driven hard? For example I feel there may have been lots of good tracks recorded straight out of an SP-1200 (not Perlon but other artists in the past).

Maybe it is all Ableton but it is fun to make up my own scenario where some of that early stuff was being pumped out of cheap hardware.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Re: zip, pantytec, dimbiman etc. - electribes

Post by Themis »

hm cant help you with your questions, only thing i know is, i bet if you go to a party where zip plays and you ask him all this stuff, this beats the "you are the best DJ in the world" talk anyday :)
breton
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by breton »

briobox wrote:other Perlon artists using the Korgs?
Melchior & Baby Ford.
briobox
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by briobox »

Themis wrote:hm cant help you with your questions, only thing i know is, i bet if you go to a party where zip plays and you ask him all this stuff, this beats the "you are the best DJ in the world" talk anyday :)
Unfortunately this will not happen for me as I live too far away to every see him play. Thanks all for your replies though!
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

It's definitely not all Ableton because it didn't exist in the late 1990's.

There was a picture of his studio going around a while ago but I can't remember where I saw it.
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

On early Melchior there is a lot of korg groove boxes all over his sound.

Imho mastering is not where the magic happens. Mastering is just the icing on the cake.

With the years I also became aware that many of these artists living in germany where and are indeed using stuff from german manufacturers like Vermona, Acidlab, Jomox and MFB. Sometimes people tend to forget about this.

From what I know:

Bruno pronsato = jomox 888

Ricardo = jomox 999, vermona drm1 mkii (blue version), acidlab miami, mfb 522 and tanzbar

Melchior = korg ESX, EMX, ER-1

If you can watch the Melchior slices interview. Korg groove box orgy. At that time he had his stuff going into a soundcraft ghost desk, that sure helps.

I'm pretty sure that all have used the same stuff that everybody does, they just do it with their own taste and process it better.

I got some of these, and guess what I still suck compared to them :)
Deflow
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Deflow »

I advise you to buy two ESX and take some days to select your preferred samples you will put on it. I think the great groove from melchior and the others is because of the perfect shuffle these machines have between each other.
briobox
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by briobox »

Do you mean two esx (the sampler) or two of the -x electribes ie the red one (sampler) and the blue one (synths)?