What controllers do you guys use for Ableton

- ask away
adrtho4
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

What controllers do you guys use for Ableton

Post by adrtho4 »

Hey all,

Former Renoise user here. Last time I used Ableton was v4, right when they introduced Midi. Anyhoo, I'm back and I'm loving it. What controllers do you lot use for Ableton? If anything I'm looking something with knobs so I can automate, yet I don't need a full control with just knobs. I'm looking at the MKI edition of the Akai APC 40. Another friend suggested the MPK 25, and I would like a little midi keyboard (currently just have just some hardware) but I don't know how the keyboard feels.

Anyhoo, open for suggestions.

Cheers.

adrian
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Re: What controllers do you guys use for Ableton

Post by John Clees »

I have the APC 40. the apc is nice, but it's limiting only showing 4 rows down. I've found myself using my mouse even with all those options to be completely comfortable while trying to express a live pa. apc is also nice to use while writing tracks, giving you endless assignable knobs, fader, crosfader.. ect. using the faders is really nice feature for your mix downs, giving you even that much more flexibility.

If you don't have a midi controller for a keyboard, then the MPK25 would serve a dull purpose. Personally, I just got rid or removed my smaller midi controllers, and use a traditional keyboard. I just recently just came to the conclusion that writing using a full size keyboard was that missing feeling that left many years ago. so it's nice to get these all in one controllers, but at the same time they are some what limiting.

if you don't have any mini controllers with a keyboard option then the mpk 25 is a nice start, however with a stripped down version of what the LPK25 provides, would then allow you with $140 towards a apc 40, which is tailored for ableton as well. just meaning perhaps consider getting a basic basic midi with keys first, then when you do spend the money you thought you would, it would be on something customized towards the apc. Not an "all in one" which the markets are creating out of convenience with a little lower price for appeal.

just something to consider.
Lunganar
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Lunganar »

i use the max49, and the keyboard feels good to me, better than the radium i used before, the sliders feel silly, but they do the job. Do you have midi problems with renoise to? Recording automations and even midi notes don't work well. But I still like the tracker-way
Transistor Jack
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Transistor Jack »

how about a launchpad?