MC307... Should I?

- ask away
HYRRA
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

MC307... Should I?

Post by HYRRA »

Hello people from mnml, this is my first post on this forums, hopefully many more are to come.

I am currently in a bit of a dillema. I am a starting producer, working on my first EP. I create Dark/Trippy techno with heavy 808's. I really like the style of the Perc Trax label. Now why I made this thread is because I've got an offer to buy a MC307 second hand but in good shape, for 100 euros. It seems like a good deal to me since it usually goes for alot more. Now the thing is I've been searching around the web for a bit and I didn't really find any songs I liked that were produced with the MC307. However I find alot on the MC303, and I understand that it has the same options and even more.

Also I should mention, if you have any alternatives on the MC307. My budget is about 250 euros. I know it's not alot but I've got to start somewhere.
Things I've considered : Yamaha RM1X, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Volca Bass, Volca beats. Please share past experiences with these pieces of hardware :)

I am ofcourse as I said a starting producer and I know close to nothing about hardware. I own a MPD26 and a Akai LPK25, and I am a pretty average DJ.
Please share some of your experiences with the MC307, it would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
https://www.soundcloud.com/TGHA

Code: Select all

techno is subtle, dark, mysterious. it makes you think. it is illusive. it tricks your mind and challenges your reasoning faculties. it even tries to insult you. it can be offensive. it is an acquired taste. it is a psycho-acoustic experiment on the listener. - Nocernoc
mehta
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: MC307... Should I?

Post by mehta »

You probably won't be able to process your sounds appropriately for the type of music you are trying to make with an MC307 as it doesn't have assignable outputs. The preset sounds will probably sound cheesy in a "perc trax" context. The MC series is underrated but more for retro-type sounds and drier stuff, not so much for process-heavy dark techno. Have a look over at subsekt.com - lots of info about producing that type of music there.
HYRRA
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by HYRRA »

mehta wrote:You probably won't be able to process your sounds appropriately for the type of music you are trying to make with an MC307 as it doesn't have assignable outputs. The preset sounds will probably sound cheesy in a "perc trax" context. The MC series is underrated but more for retro-type sounds and drier stuff, not so much for process-heavy dark techno. Have a look over at subsekt.com - lots of info about producing that type of music there.
Thanks alot for your reply! I have already registered an account on subsekt, it has been a week now though and my account is still not activated :cry:.
Anyways, you talked me out of buying a MC307, thanks for that. Now I am thinking of buying other hardware, or just stay with ableton and my MPD26, I guess it's capable of every piece of HW anyways.
https://www.soundcloud.com/TGHA

Code: Select all

techno is subtle, dark, mysterious. it makes you think. it is illusive. it tricks your mind and challenges your reasoning faculties. it even tries to insult you. it can be offensive. it is an acquired taste. it is a psycho-acoustic experiment on the listener. - Nocernoc
dirddey_iddler
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dirddey_iddler »

try the MC505 or the RS7000. There are some tricks to get Drums rougher and punchier.