produce in the style of a MMMPPPCCC

- ask away
tzusing
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

produce in the style of a MMMPPPCCC

Post by tzusing »

so i have been watching these smack dvds with bits where they talk to hiphop producers and what not and you know how much they talk about the whole mpc thing...
so i'm kinda inspired to get a mpd 16 or the trigger finger or the new korg drum pad thing...
what do you guys think? do any of you guys produce techno in the mpc style?
provaznik
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by provaznik »

it has been done and will continue to be done. the mpc range is great for tech stuff. but in general the way that the mpc is set up seems to lend itself to break oriented music much better.
ruzz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ruzz »

I use ableton + an akai mpd16 and it works very similar to an mpc as a performance instrument. Very similar except easier to use and more powerful.

Ruzz
bLURiX
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by bLURiX »

ruzz wrote:I use ableton + an akai mpd16 and it works very similar to an mpc as a performance instrument. Very similar except easier to use and more powerful.
.. I can't agree to this in any way and I was so surprised when I saw this statement that I had to write a short reply to it.. HOW do you find an Akai's MPC (exp. 2000XL or 4000) similar to a (exp.) laptop+mpd16? First of all.. I assure you that everyone who owns an MPC would go directly to the lap.+mpd combination if it was 'more powerful'.. Firstly because one can buy a lap.+mpd for a price of MPC.. Why do most producers still swear to the sound of MPC then? Because of it's fat and warm sound.. No computer will EVER be able to give you warmth of an MPC... I'm using a laptop and an MPC 2000XL, and trust me.. I know the difference between the computer and a hardware sampler/sequencer (as an MPC). Sure, computer is more capable of managing sounds in meaning that it has more space (HD), you can make all the things (mastering, etc.) right on it, as well as it has numerous VSTi effects, generators, etc. that a hardware sampler/sequencer can't have or use.. But, that's not necessarily to be a minus.. It only means "buy what you really need and what fits to your character as a producer". And again I saw - NOTHING can give a producer of electronic music more warmth in a sound than a hardware piece of equipment! MPD? A nice things.. but! it's only there to simulate the real thing under one's fingers.. Does it have an MPC sound-generator? No.. It's not a sampler or a sequencer (in which Akai is "the emperor"), but just a simulator of the real thing.. Don't get me wrong, it's a good thing indeed but simply can not be even measured with a real MPC ...
credit_agro
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by credit_agro »

bLURiX wrote:
ruzz wrote:I use ableton + an akai mpd16 and it works very similar to an mpc as a performance instrument. Very similar except easier to use and more powerful.
.. I can't agree to this in any way and I was so surprised when I saw this statement that I had to write a short reply to it.. HOW do you find an Akai's MPC (exp. 2000XL or 4000) similar to a (exp.) laptop+mpd16? First of all.. I assure you that everyone who owns an MPC would go directly to the lap.+mpd combination if it was 'more powerful'.. Firstly because one can buy a lap.+mpd for a price of MPC.. Why do most producers still swear to the sound of MPC then? Because of it's fat and warm sound.. No computer will EVER be able to give you warmth of an MPC... I'm using a laptop and an MPC 2000XL, and trust me.. I know the difference between the computer and a hardware sampler/sequencer (as an MPC). Sure, computer is more capable of managing sounds in meaning that it has more space (HD), you can make all the things (mastering, etc.) right on it, as well as it has numerous VSTi effects, generators, etc. that a hardware sampler/sequencer can't have or use.. But, that's not necessarily to be a minus.. It only means "buy what you really need and what fits to your character as a producer". And again I saw - NOTHING can give a producer of electronic music more warmth in a sound than a hardware piece of equipment! MPD? A nice things.. but! it's only there to simulate the real thing under one's fingers.. Does it have an MPC sound-generator? No.. It's not a sampler or a sequencer (in which Akai is "the emperor"), but just a simulator of the real thing.. Don't get me wrong, it's a good thing indeed but simply can not be even measured with a real MPC ...
Hi,
I don't have anything to add to this thread but I can help but comment on that logo for diggarama. Did you do this up in 5 mins with photoshop? It looks awful. So corporate and cliche...Yuck
ruzz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ruzz »

bLURiX wrote:Because of it's fat and warm sound.
Referring to the warm sound of a digital box is somewhat silly.

To clarify using Live + MPD is only similar to an MPC if we are talking about real-time writing (not step writing).

Using an MPC to trigger live also seems a bit overkill.

Ruzz
skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: produce in the style of a MMMPPPCCC

Post by skept »

tzusing wrote:do any of you guys produce techno in the mpc style?
i use the trigger finger in both my productions and live shows.

here is a live show where i used it:
Christ
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Christ »

credit_agro wrote:
bLURiX wrote:
Hi,
I don't have anything to add to this thread but I can help but comment on that logo for diggarama. Did you do this up in 5 mins with photoshop? It looks awful. So corporate and cliche...Yuck
Brilliant reply... :P ...if you don`t have anything to add:

Don`t

The MPC can be used for any type of music. Theo and KDJ`s early stuff are based around the MPC and hip-hop style techniques.

Thread needs some freestyle techno stuff from Ellis and Arnold:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO5keWkJ ... ed&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRhOO-mz ... ed&search=